Cheap Accommodations in Coz or PdelC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Scotty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
All,

Cheap places to stay? Price range? We also want to dive Tulum - should we stay in Coz or stay in Playa del Carmen? Both? Would a package dive deal (Coz & Tulum) be cheaper? Good dive deals? Must-see dive sites?

Also, we're coming from Mexico City (starting in Oregon)! It's a 24hr bus ride or a $360round-trip flight to Cancun... other options? Cood stuff on the way (road-trip it for a few days on multiple busses)?

We are both strong divers, and that's our priority, quality of the accommodations doesn't need to be too high - just decent. We're also interested in hitting some Mayan ruins (we've been to ruins in Belize & Guatemala).

Other advice is very welcome, thank you in advance!

-Scotty

WOW!

The answers to all of the topics in this thread could very easily take up 4 or 5 threads of their own.

Can't advise on Tulum or Playa, but as for cheap places to stay in Coz. it is relavant as to how you define cheap.

For about $40 a night, in town and don't have to cab ride to restaurants, but you need to get to a pier for boat pick-up, there is Hotel Pepita, Hotel Agular, Vista del Mar, and some others.

For about $60 there is Hotel Barracuda that is beach front and close to town.

For about $80 and a bit farther from town there is Caribe Blu and Villablanca. Caribe Blu is beach front and Villablanca is across the street from the beach. These types are very popular.

Then a touch higher in cost for about $90 (and it all depends on what travel site you use) is Casa del Mar which is across the street from the beach but a little farther from town than the above mentioned.

Then do you want All Inclusive or just European Plan? Guessing you want to do the local restaurants and walking around thing.

When are you planning on going, the high or low season?

How long will you have to be in the area once you leave Mexico City?

Christi has an excellent thread on Coz. FAQ's that is a sticky at the top of this forum. It includes hotels. That would be a great and easy to navigate place to start!

Edit: O.K., just looked at your posts for Belize checkin' out the backpacker $20 per person hotel rooms. The above costs on hotels are for 2 people per room...that is $40 per night is $20 per person for 2 people, $80 at Caribe Blu is $40 per person for 2 people....

Last edited:
If you plan to dive both Cozumel and Tulum, you may want to look at staying in Akumal instead of PDC. That would also give you close access to Hidden Worlds for some world class cave diving too...

As Sealskin suggested, your post could be expanded into a few different discussions. The more info you offer about your preferences, the better that friendly regulars can address them - altho he gave you pretty good ideas about hotels, including see the sticky thread at the top. Here is a partial list of Coz hotels and prices and you'll see some in your price range at the bottom. Cozumel-hotels.Net -- global discount hotel reservations You can...
  • Run google searches for Cozumel Hotel to read different promotions;
  • Run searches here on interesting hotels by name;
  • Narrow down your questions;
Then receive better answers.

How many days do you have in mind for Coz and how many for Tulum? If just one day on Tulum, you may not want to change hotels; if more, yeah you might stay on the mainland. We're doing two days & nights at Playa del Carmen to dive there and the cenotes, then headed for Holbox, so I just ask our dive op to suggest a hotel: FantaseaDive.com Anything more than 2 days and I would have done similar google searching and a thread on the Mexico forum.

I doubt that you want to do All Inclusive plans at any hotel; I suspect you want to explore and eat cheaply; and I don't even know of any Coz-PDC packages, but if there were any - you'd probly do cheaper separately.

As to how to get from Mexico City to Coz? I have no idea at all; M-City has never been on my wish list. It could be an adventure to do the buses if you have the time and like roughing-it adventures. Be sure to carry lots of memory cards and shoot lots of pics.

good luck!

Many 45-50 $ place's in Cozumel. IN PDC there is a Hostel across from the bus station next to the McDonald's. It was 14 last Jan per person open bay dormitory style. There is also a hotel across the street from the bus terminal driveway that is $25 a night - 2 single beds and a bathroom the hotel is painted electric pink.
Many other hotels within walking distance of the bus station and ferry boat $25-500 a night pick your $ preference.

I would stay in Coz and get a package tour to Tulum that includes ferry and transportation. Stay in PDC for dinner and take the 10pm ferry back to Coz. This would be a good all day trip.
Or
Do it your last full day since you don't want to dive before flying and stay in PDC that night and take the $8 bus to Cancun airport the next day. We always go to Playa the night before flying out of Cancun due to wife not liking to ferry and fly the same day. There is a hotel on tenth ave one block from the bus above a leather goods store that has nice large rooms for 40 a night.

Cozumel's Hostelito near the square is well located at $10-12 per person per night. Hotel Pepita & Safari Inn are a step up with private, A/C rooms. Palapas Amaranto & Mi Casa en Cozumel offer unique, modern accommodations at good prices. Hotel Aguilar and Amigo's B&B (between Aves. 25 & 30) are also very reasonable with pools & other amenities.

Re the ferry from PDC to CZM: 9pm or the last boat at 11pm -- no 10 o'clock service.

Last edited:
Click Mexicana offers direct air service Mexico City-CZM, often around $1000 pesos (a little over $100 at today's exchange) before airport taxes.

I went to cozumel the last february for diving i stay at coral reef in. its very clean place.the room is between 45 dollars and 60 dollars. There is an roof top and a kitchen where you can cook your own meal and a place to clean your diving gear. It's very quiet place and close to the taxi station and big surpermarket.

In Coz.- try the Vista Del Mar. We've always gotten great rates, try booking through Expedia or Orbitz. It is a nice place, very clean- and right in town. You can walk to many inexpensive and yummy local restaurants. Breakfast is included (coffee, rolls, jam, juice.. nothing fancy, but enough pre-dive sustenance). Watch the cruise ship madness from the comfort of your own balcony, and miss the crowds by diving all day. Most of the BIG SHIPS and their balloon-hat wearing shoppers/10am drunks are gone by 6pm.
Also had some family stay at the Villa Blanca this past May. They were satisfied... other than one room change due to bugs.

All,

Also, we're coming from Mexico City (starting in Oregon)! It's a 24hr bus ride or a $360round-trip flight to Cancun... other options? Cood stuff on the way (road-trip it for a few days on multiple busses)?

We're also interested in hitting some Mayan ruins (we've been to ruins in Belize & Guatemala).

Other advice is very welcome, thank you in advance!

-Scotty

One advantage to taking the bus is that you can stop along the way from DF to Cancun in cities like Merida and catch the ruins at Uxmal. Break up the 24 hour bus trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom