Chauncy Jerome Jr. Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hazmatmess

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My buddy and I were planning a shore dive on Friday and the Chauncy Jerome Jr. (saw it on njscuba.net) caught my eye as something interesting. Its off the shore from Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park in Jersey. Anyone ever do this dive before? Good, bad, interesting??? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Tim

I read about it in Tom Gormley's book. It seemed as if not many people dive it, yet it is close to the beach with easy access. Let us know

How was the dive? That one is on my list.

Dan

Just did this dive this morning. Lots of life on it and it is covered with mussels. It really seems just a hunk of iron with some iron blocks on it. I can only compare it to the Bluffs wreck that I've done recently. Bluffs actually looks like a boat while the CJ doesn't really. Viz was actually a good 20 feet today. I did not see much in the way of artifacts but, as I said, this is really grown over. Scale of 1:10, I'd rate it a 4.

Just did this dive this morning. Lots of life on it and it is covered with mussels. It really seems just a hunk of iron with some iron blocks on it. I can only compare it to the Bluffs wreck that I've done recently. Bluffs actually looks like a boat while the CJ doesn't really. Viz was actually a good 20 feet today. I did not see much in the way of artifacts but, as I said, this is really grown over. Scale of 1:10, I'd rate it a 4.

Thanks for the report! How easy was it to find? What did you use as a visual ref? Just the pic from njscuba.net? Thanks again!

Follow directions from Tom Gormleys book. Go in at north entrance of 7 president's park across from the skate park, enter at jetty, swim until the depth is 20 feet, then turn north and keep at 20 feet. You can miss it but this will help. It seems about 150 feet out and you can see the wave definition from high on the beach. There is also a building next to the skate park that has two windows on the second floor. The wreck is centered between the two windows. Good luck.

Thanks!

My 3rd Great Grandfather came to America on this ship in Aug of 1853.

I'd love any info anyone has on this ship or its wreck.

Does anyone have any photo's of the wreck?

Thanks

Mike

Back
Top Bottom