Charlotte Harbor, FL Area Advise Please....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beachman

Reaction score
I will be in the Englewood, FL area the first week of April (35 miles south of Sarasota, 45 miles north of Ft. Myers). The primary purpose is for my wife and I to visit friends. However, I always take my dive gear wherever I travel and this is a new area to me. I live in the Keys and have done most of the east coast things, but never the west coast.

In whatever time you have to help, I would appreciate a bit of advice on who, what, where, etc. for this area. This is not a "dive vacation", but I always manage to get wet wherever I go and will probably be able to work in at least 2 - 3 days diving during the week.

I consider myself experienced, but not really a "techie" by training.

Thanks for your input and advice.

There's a lot of Sharks showing up that time of year, following the schools of Tarpon, and specifically Boca Grande Pass, which is literally shark infested with Bulls and Hammers. There are a lot of pelagics out there that the sharks like to snack on, too. Of course, you could not dive in the Pass if you were insane enough to want to, because all the guide boats will be in full swing.

Some guys dive the phosphate docks near the Pass to look at the monster jewfish. One guy posted that his friend was diving that and saw a huge tarpon go right by him (but with only 1/4 of the body he had just had).

I wouldn't dive Charlotte Harbor that time of year, either. Lot's of Bull Sharks in there. Of course, if you're from the Keys, sharks probably don't bother you much anyway.

So that leaves you with wrecks and ledges offshore. I know they got some good stuff to dive out there, but I don't do much diving myself south of Sarasota County. Maybe someone from that area can respond and recommend a good six pack operation, or take you out on his boat. Good luck.

There is a dive shop in Venice, about fifteen minutes north of Englewood who can let you in on everything you need to know. I was there in December and talked with the owner and he seemed like a great guy. I have yet to dive there yet as my parents just moved to the area and december was very cold. Anyway, it is a starting point I guess.

Hi! I live in Port Charlotte. The only dive that I know of around here (other than the ones TampaScott listed above) is at Venice beach. I have been told that if you go out 10-15 yards past the swim buoys, that there is a bit of reef there. It also is a great place to look for sharks teeth.

If you're interested, I can get directions to the site.

On the web it looks like unless I want to go to Sarasota that the only shop posting trips close by Engelwood is Florida West Scuba School in Venice.

Anybody know anything about this shop? Their schedule seems to look like it is booking up (3-4 slots per trip open in the 2nd week of April). Maybe it's still spring breakers this late?

Should I book in advance? I didn't know this area had quite such a demand.

I'll try to swing by this place. I didn't know any dive shops in the area were booking trips. If they are, I want to check it out.

Hi. I am new to the thread. Just wondered if you found a place to dive while you were there? My in-laws live in Port Charlotte, so I end up going there a few times a year. I had read about the shark teeth diving after my last trip there. Most of my Florida diving has been in the keys and off of West Palm/Boynton.

:D

Easy relaxing dive is sharks tooth hunting off of Venice Beach. Went there this weekend and had a blast.

Do a search for a couple of posts complete with directions and tips.

I did find the thread about the shark-tooth diving. Sounds like fun. I'll have to remember to post a dive request the next time I visit my in-laws in Port Charlotte.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom