Charleston, SC Spear Fishing recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MDWreckdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey there-
I am heading down to Charleston towards the end of the week and was looking to hook up and go spearing on Friday. Any recommendations for a good charter?

Nate

I would contact the LDS to see if they can help you..

I see your at the Naval Air Station , Pax River..There are some good oyster beds in your back yard..

Lots of fun there in my day...

Good luck in SC..

Yes, Pax is a great place. I have have met some grats folks up here. I have dove the old light house on base a couple of times. Thank you for the help on a charter. Ill post some picks if I stick anything worth while:wink:

I called Charleston Scuba Center and they said that they did not allow spear fishing on their charters, nor did they know of any Coast Guard approved vessel that did in the area. I really find it hard to believe that no one runs spearfishing charters in the Charleston area. I emailed Terry at Lowcountry Dive Services (LDS) and awaiting response. I am still on the hunt. Hopefully something will pan out.

Maybe post an ad on craigslist in that area or use the buddy locator on this forum to get hooked up with someone local who has the same interest?? You may find a new friend as well as some great local diving that you otherwise will never know about ?

I lived in Charleston for 42 years and to my knowledge there are no dive charters that allow spearfishing. Go to charlestondiving.com and post there. You may be able to hook up with some of the locals for a trip.

Hey there-
So a quick recap on the weekend. I spoke to Gabe, at Low Country Scuba, http://www.lowcountryscuba.com/, good people. They run spear charters out of Charleston; however, they did not have any spots available for the last weekend. I ended up getting connected with the folks at Express Water Sports, Express Water Sports - Myrtle Beach Scuba, Parasail, Kayak & dolphin watch & Ocean Sightseeing, Banana Boat And jet skis & hydro testing in Myrtle Beach South Carolina - Home, out of Murrells Inlet about an hour and a half north of Charleston. Sally at the Charleston Scuba Center pointed me in their direction.

I dove the USS Vermillion, a 470ft liberty ship that was used as a troop transport during WWII. It was sunk as a apart of the artiifcial reef program. Anyway, the viz reminded me of Ocean City or Virginia Beach, no more than 30ft or so and green. The Vermillion's deck sits at around 100ft and give or take 140 to the sand. On the second dive I slammed a 35lb Scamp towards the bow. All in all it was a sucessful dive. Good people and good times. I reccomend the folks from Express Water Sports, they were first class-nice boat and friendly crew.

Ben%20spearing.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom