Locations for new diver interested in sand tiger sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snakekid97

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I am a relatively new open water diver. I have only ever done 2 ocean dives, in the gulf. I am moving to Charleston SC from May-August for work. I have read online that sand tiger sharks are plentiful off the NC coast around wrecks, especially over the summer.

I am very interested in seeing this, but I have never been to NC. Can anyone recommend a good charter/ location to look into? Are there good wreck/shark locations at less than 60ft deep?

(If anyone knows of good spots near Charleston, I am open to those recommendations as well!)

Thanks!

I was in a similar 'boat' to you (wanted to see the sand tigers), back in 2015, when I flew out of KY to go check out the NC diving.

Morehead City, NC August 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...us-dive-center-aug-9-13-2015-trip-report.html

I liked Olympus Dive Center fine. I didn't see any sand tiger sharks on the inshore wrecks (which were shallower with lower viz. but the dive times were a good deal longer due to NDL's not running out so fast at depth).

You're going to want to pick up a Nitrox cert. (pretty easy) and an Advanced OW cert.

For their Full Day Dive Trip, Olympus lists info. including this:

Minimum Requirements for a Full Day Dive Trip:

· A minimum of 25 logged dives. Advanced Open Water Certification preferred. Experienced divers with Open Water Certification and required dives are accepted.

· At least 2 dives in the ocean to 70 feet or greater.

· At least 2 logged boat ocean dives.

· At least 2 dives in the last 12 months. Minimum age for Full Day Dive Trip is 15 years of age.

I suggest seeing if you can do an AOW course in South Carolina shortly after you get there, and Nitrox, and enough dives to get up to a 25 logged dive total. Perhaps you can get that done in the May - July time frame, and hit North Carolina for the sand tigers in August?

Richard.

The sand tigers are out right now. They’re seen in larger numbers in the Morehead/Atlantic Beach area. The wrecks where sand tigers are most commonly seen are the Aeolus, Spar, Papoose, and I did see 3-4 on the Schurz on Saturday. All of these wrecks are 100’-120’.

Sand tigers can also be seen on the wrecks Hyde and Markham out of Wrightsville Beach.
The Hyde is 85’ to the sand with the deck around 60’. I have also seen sand tigers on the Stone Tug which is 60’ to the sand but it’s not normal for them to be there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom