Charleston / Myrtle Beach Diving in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSig

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'll be traveling out to the Charleston area and would like to spend a day diving, either Friday Dec. 16 or Saturday Dec. 17. Anyone know of any bouts making a trip that wouldn't mind another diver? Thanks!

None of the charters out of Myrtle Beach or Little River are likely to be going out until March 2017.

The only thing that I'm aware of this time of year is diving in the Cooper River. That is black water diving in the river looking for fossils such as Megalodon teeth.

Thanks for the reply!

As much fun as that sounds I think that might be a little much for me. I am currently landlocked in Colorado and I was looking forward to jumping in the ocean. I think I'll have to wait until my next trip out there over summer.

I don't think anybody in Charleston goes out in the winter either. Conditions can be rough and the deep reefs are 2 hrs. out. But easy to check:

In the Charleston metro area there's two shops - Charleston Scuba and Low Country Scuba in Mt. Pleasant.
Charleston doesn't have anything scheduled and I'll leave it up to you to decipher the mess that Low Country calls a website.
Charleston Scuba
Lowcountry Scuba Online

The South Carolina Aquarium isn't bad since you'll be in the area. Some of the off-shore exhibits are pretty realistic. (except the water is too clear...lol)

Last edited:
Hey diversteve thanks for the reply.

I called Charleston Scuba and they said they were done for the season, something about the water being to cold. Nice guys over there, I'm going to at least stop by there shop to say hi and meet them in person.

Haven't called Low Country yet. I'll check out the aquarium, thanks for the heads up!

I know for a fact Aquatic Safaris out of Wilmington is running charters still- it's about an hour from Myrtle Beach. I'm going out with them tomorrow (unless weather cancels it). Water is still warm in the Gulf Stream- low 70's.

I know for a fact Aquatic Safaris out of Wilmington is running charters still- it's about an hour from Myrtle Beach. I'm going out with them tomorrow (unless weather cancels it). Water is still warm in the Gulf Stream- low 70's.

Hey bmbeaty - That sounds like it might be something I'll be able to squeeze in. Thanks for the info!

Mark

Yeah, water was 62 at 85' when I went out yesterday. They don't have anything on their online calendar listed so your best bet would be to give them a call and see if they have anything else coming up this month/if they would start a specific charter for whatever you want to dive. They do have a minimum number of divers required for a boat to go out.

Yeah, water was 62 at 85' when I went out yesterday. They don't have anything on their online calendar listed so your best bet would be to give them a call and see if they have anything else coming up this month/if they would start a specific charter for whatever you want to dive. They do have a minimum number of divers required for a boat to go out.

Wow, temps are dropping fast. I dove U-352 the day before Thanksgiving and it was 68 at 115'. Not sure how far out you were, but based on the depth you are reporting I'm assuming you were on the Markham or Hyde.

I went with Coastal Scuba (Myrtle) in Feb. once, but that was 2011.

Back
Top Bottom