Channel Islands... What do I need to know...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing to add except:

If you bring your own tanks and get them filled on any of the So Cal boats I would pop those valves and have them VIPed when you get home. Just a couple drops of water is all it takes to ruin a tank if it lingers in there for months. I'm sure most of them are fine but VIPs are cheap and tanks are expense to just "trust" no water got inside.

Nothing to add except:

If you bring your own tanks and get them filled on any of the So Cal boats I would pop those valves and have them VIPed when you get home. Just a couple drops of water is all it takes to ruin a tank if it lingers in there for months. I'm sure most of them are fine but VIPs are cheap and tanks are expense to just "trust" no water got inside.

Hmmm and I need to get this vised before. I just checked my tanks, the only set with a valid vis has trimix in it.

Hmmm and I need to get this vised before. I just checked my tanks, the only set with a valid vis has trimix in it.
Have them VIPed now so they are current
Pop the valves and look yourself unofficially (no need for a new sticker) when you get home just to be on the safe side. Or have a friend peek inside. Might need a transfill whip to have at least a little pressure in there so your shop doesnt squak

Have them VIPed now so they are current
Pop the valves and look yourself unofficially (no need for a new sticker) when you get home just to be on the safe side. Or have a friend peek inside. Might need a transfill whip to have at least a little pressure in there so your shop doesnt squak

I keep my steels oxygen clean in case I have to PP blend. So I might have to suck it up and pay for the visual, as if I am worried about water I should also be worried about oil too. But I've paid enough at this shop, as long as one of the owners isn't there they will probably peek at them for free.

I keep my steels oxygen clean in case I have to PP blend. So I might have to suck it up and pay for the visual, as if I am worried about water I should also be worried about oil too. But I've paid enough at this shop, as long as one of the owners isn't there they will probably peek at them for free.

Tanks can be significantly contaminated with no visible oil, although the valve is what you really should be worried about. Maybe just skip the boat fills. The shops local are fine, the boat compressor/tank monkeys not so much.

Tanks can be significantly contaminated with no visible oil, although the valve is what you really should be worried about. Maybe just skip the boat fills. The shops local are fine, the boat compressor/tank monkeys not so much.

Unfortunately I don't really have the tanks for that, at least ones that I would be willing to use in salt water.

Nothing to add except:

Just hold a towel over the valve and give it a quick gentle air purge (just a little) to blast out any water that may have inadvertently entered the valve hole when you took off the reg.
Don’t do it without muffling it because you’re liable to piss off a bunch of people close by.

Just hold a towel over the valve and give it a quick gentle air purge (just a little) to blast out any water that may have inadvertently entered the valve hole when you took off the reg.
Don’t do it without muffling it because you’re liable to piss off a bunch of people close by.
Its not just surface water
Seen way too many boat compressor filters pumping soggy gas to trust them.

Manatee-Diver,

Please, please, please... post a trip report when you complete this adventure!

k

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom