Channel Islands... What do I need to know...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am pretty sure the 50lb weight limit came out of a Cal OSHA limit on the maximum weight employees are permitted/required to lift. Some of the CE boats transfer baggage in and out of the hold via a conveyor belt and employees have to lift the luggage onto the belt.

On other boats, passengers load and unload their own baggage and so the weight limit is irrelevant and is not enforced.

Sounds like a mixed bag of nuts. With lots of parts. Some people think that if your not early your late? 6:59 ??. But. from what I have observed about the "Magician" and it's crew. They like to advertise them selves' as the Best Dive Boat in the Area. But they don't mention how SMALL of a boat they operate. (1) Leave your dive box at home-Just bring essentials. (2) I've had good & crappy dives on each boat in the area (3) The key to retail is Service, Service, Service. It's busy and confusing for the crew members in the mornings. And warm water resort diving is much more accommodating than COLD Water self sufficient style, west coat diving. But, I noticed that many times they are focus on there own Personal drama, rather than Customer Service.
Next Time you dive west coast, drop me a line. I have HSA training & experience.
Good Divin, Dive Safe
SoCalDiver

Sorry about the Magician, unfortunate experience to say the least. I think I might have called the cops to report my gear being stolen, why yes officers I know exactly when they’ll be returning. I’m actually surprised Eco handled it as well as they did, I don’t mind the Magician but hate dealing with Eco. Outside of Sundiver I think the best boats are up in Ventura, but sort of a mixed bag.

Overall sounds like you had an enjoyable trip though!

I’ve never had my hard case gear weighed going to/from Catalina for what it’s worth. Including lugging doubles over/back.

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience with being left behind. FWIW, I would blame that on Eco rather than the Magician; they provide the DMs that handle roll call.

Sounds like a mixed bag of nuts. With lots of parts. Some people think that if your not early your late? 6:59 ??. But. from what I have observed about the "Magician" and it's crew. They like to advertise them selves' as the Best Dive Boat in the Area. But they don't mention how SMALL of a boat they operate. (1) Leave your dive box at home-Just bring essentials. (2) I've had good & crappy dives on each boat in the area (3) The key to retail is Service, Service, Service. It's busy and confusing for the crew members in the mornings. And warm water resort diving is much more accommodating than COLD Water self sufficient style, west coat diving. But, I noticed that many times they are focus on there own Personal drama, rather than Customer Service.
Next Time you dive west coast, drop me a line. I have HSA training & experience.

My typical procedure is to bring my dive box and a milk crate on board. Dive box gets unloaded and gear setup, and then it gets stored back in my car. While the milk crate stays onboard with my analyzers, save a dive kit, and any other small items I need.

But you are right, they are tiny. I am a 15 minutes early or I am late kind of guy. I arrived 45 minutes... well closer to 44 minutes since they left early before departure which should've been more than enough time. Most of the reason why it took me forever is because the dive area is so small I had to wait forever for the guy next to me to setup his gear. In fact I ended up getting frustrated and pulling my tank out of the slot to an open area, set my BCD up, put it back, dumped my drysuit and fins and went back to my car to park it. And they still haven't fixed their nitrox rig.

Anyways lesson learned don't book with Eco Divers, and don't book the Magician.

My typical procedure is to bring my dive box and a milk crate on board. Dive box gets unloaded and gear setup, and then it gets stored back in my car. While the milk crate stays onboard with my analyzers, save a dive kit, and any other small items I need.

But you are right, they are tiny. I am a 15 minutes early or I am late kind of guy. I arrived 45 minutes... well closer to 44 minutes since they left early before departure which should've been more than enough time. Most of the reason why it took me forever is because the dive area is so small I had to wait forever for the guy next to me to setup his gear. In fact I ended up getting frustrated and pulling my tank out of the slot to an open area, set my BCD up, put it back, dumped my drysuit and fins and went back to my car to park it. And they still haven't fixed their nitrox rig.

Anyways lesson learned don't book with Eco Divers, and don't book the Magician.
I sure hope they see all this and take a lesson that doing this sort of thing will affect more than just one person who got burned. It is the age of the internet after all.
I certainly will think twice about booking with them.
I am another one who likes the boats in Ventura.

Back
Top Bottom