Channel Islands (Santa Cruz)...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kristina, I'll be on the Peace starting July 28. I've been out with (and also the Truth boats) them several times. I love the Peace. The boat is smaller than the Truth boats but it has a hot tub. If you dive wet that can be a blessing. When you're cold just dump hot water from the tub down your suit. You can wear your wetsuit in the galley, just not below deck. On the Peace it's good to be one of the first to board. Then you can get a bench spot for your cylinder. It makes gearing up much easier, and you can shove your gear tub right under the bench for easy access. Try to get one near one of the side gates. If you bring a cooler with drinks and whatnot, store that along the sides towards the bow. The food is great and the deck hands are also awesome and very helpful. You should have a great trip. Make sure to write a report when you get back!

Hi Carol, I do dive wet, and am looking forward to the hot tub. Thanks for the info on getting a good spot for my tank, I already know the bunk space is pre-assigned, I don't get to choose where I sleep but I haven't heard any mention of getting a spot for my gear.
Looking forward to hearing about your Channel Islands secrets, Mike :)

The deck space is always up for grabs. First come first served. It pays to be first! I hope you got a double bunk. The singles down the middle are really doubles separated by a removable partition that does not go all the way up. I was once in one of those and the guy on the other side was a snorer who suffered from horrible flatulence. I wish you much better luck! If not, put the curtain over your eyes and hang your nose into the isle. I go on a limited load bug trip in Oct every year, just so I can get a double to myself. Totally worth the money. Plus, I always bring a sleeping bag. Most folks do. Again, have fun! I have never failed to have a total blast, even on the trip mentioned above. :)

Oh, and Mike, I'm so glad you had a good time! You have to go again, there is so much more to see!

I've had great trips with Truth Aquatics and one very very bad trip due to crew members who are no longer employed there. Overall it's a good outfit.

S'true about getting there early for these boats and claiming dive deck real estate. It's so nice when you don't have to walk halfway up the side of the boat to retrieve some piece of gear out of your bag. The Truth boats all have completely separated bunks as far as I remember, having only been in the middle set of bunks a couple of times some years ago.

You asked if a cooler with ice is a good idea for keeping your private stash of cold beverages. Yes, a really good idea, since on full load trips all the galley fridges and coolers are completely full, with no room for everyone's individual goodies. I've found that a good quality styrofoam cooler will keep beer cold for three days, even when sitting out in the sun up the side of the boat.

Oh, yeah. Bring a wetsuit hanger with your name plastered all over it. And while you're at it, label all your gear (you've probably already done this) so that it's less likely that someone with the same fins as you takes yours off the after-dive pile by mistake.

And don't forget to crack your valve a bit to blow it dry before they swoop down to fill your tank after a dive. Sometimes the whip is on your tank immediately after you slip off the first stage.

Welcome back Mike! Looks like you had a great trip! I've been to the Channel Island on the Vision before, but that boat doesn't have the exciting hijack history of the Conception :)

The Peace can chill a small amount of personal beverages. They have liquid soap in the showers, so you don't have to bring your own unless you are fussy. Do bring a sheet or blanket to put down in the bunk, or you will be lying on plastic cover.

We had two wetsuit divers on our recent trip, and they really appreciated the hot tub.

DO get a bench spot, if you possibly can. Hauling tanks up from the floor is a PITA, as is waiting until enough people gear up to clear bench space for you. (I know, because I got inboard floor space this trip.) Reboarding the Peace is dead-bang easy -- you let the surge throw you up onto the swim step, and then you get up on your knees and offer your fins to the crew. Then you climb onto the deck.

I'd highly recommend taking a boat coat/True West parka. It is NOT warm at night, and the wind can blow hard. The first of the two trips I did, I had this "SoCal is warm country" vision, and I was cold the whole time. I'd bring some kind of warm slippers for nighttime, too, or Crocs with warm, fuzzy socks.

I can't say enough good things about the Peace. I've done three trips -- one day, two liveaboard -- with her, and the crew is absolutely fantastic. And if Joe does the cooking . . . well, don't get on the scale when you get home.

Personally, I prefer the 4 day trips and the southern islands trips. You always lose 1/2 day doing the return to Santa Barbara, so the lost time is a smaller percentage on the longer trips. Also, the scenery off San Clemente and Catalina is very different from the northern Channel Islands.

My wife and I are already booked for a 4 day trip on the Vision to San Clemente on July 18-21. We do this at least once a year, though last year we did the Big Sur trip instead of going down south. It is absolutely the best value in dive travel that I know! This particular trip is $794pp, and there are still openings. If you're interested, drop me a line.

Bruce

Thanks for the post Mike. Now I'm even more excited about my first Channel Islands trip the end of this month.

(((kevin)))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom