Chankanaab Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sonofwolves

Reaction score
Hi all,

Anybody ever dive Chankanaab Park in Cozumel. I'm on a pretty low budget and will be visiting Cozumel on a cruise for my honeymoon. I have been all over the island and have been inside Chankanaab Park but never tried the shore dive there. Is it worth it? What can I expect and is there reef to explore?

Thanks for any advice.

Did it many many years ago. If I remember right we saw a lot of large Parrot fish but that's all that rings a bell.

sonofwolves:
Hi all,

Anybody ever dive Chankanaab Park in Cozumel. I'm on a pretty low budget and will be visiting Cozumel on a cruise for my honeymoon. I have been all over the island and have been inside Chankanaab Park but never tried the shore dive there. Is it worth it? What can I expect and is there reef to explore?

Thanks for any advice.
Hi SOW.
I suggest you do a search for Chankanaab in the Cozumel forum. Or, maybe a Mod can move this thread there.

sonofwolves:
Hi all,

Thanks for any advice.

done it once or twice, it's an ok shore dive, the cenote is neat, you must have a guide now, cost is between 7 and 20 bucks depending on what equipment you bring.

The wife and I just got back from there. We didn't dive, but did snorkel and saw three divers just 20 feet from the shore, 15' under. I'm not sure why they were diving in so close/shallow. Maybe a class?

There were lots of dive boats dropping people off maybe 150 yards off shore. Probably a bit too far for a surface swim, and there was noticable current in the swimming area, so a long surface swim might be that much more challenging. The boat divers looked like they were doing drift diving, since all of the groups surfaced about the same distance/direction from the boat, and then the boat would come to pick 'em up.

Even in the swimming area there was a good variety of fish (especially close in to shore, around the rocky beach. We had a 2 1/2 foot baracudda following us around for way too long...

Sorry, don't have much knowledge r.e. the shore diving. But if you do go, get the grilled shrimp at the open-air restaraunt for lunch! Fantastic!

3dent:
The wife and I just got back from there. We didn't dive, but did snorkel and saw three divers just 20 feet from the shore, 15' under. I'm not sure why they were diving in so close/shallow. Maybe a class?

There were lots of dive boats dropping people off maybe 150 yards off shore. Probably a bit too far for a surface swim, and there was noticable current in the swimming area, so a long surface swim might be that much more challenging. The boat divers looked like they were doing drift diving, since all of the groups surfaced about the same distance/direction from the boat, and then the boat would come to pick 'em up.

Even in the swimming area there was a good variety of fish (especially close in to shore, around the rocky beach. We had a 2 1/2 foot baracudda following us around for way too long...

Sorry, don't have much knowledge r.e. the shore diving. But if you do go, get the grilled shrimp at the open-air restaraunt for lunch! Fantastic!

The boat divers were diving the C-53 ( Best Guess ) it's not that far out but if you tried to swim it the current may take you to the reggie bar at the south end of the Island.

The max depth in Chankanaab park is maybe 25 feet. not that much to see, there are better shore dives,Villablanca has far more fish life.

This is a very good place to do the resort course ( discover scuba ), I did that 6 years ago and have been diving from that point on.

One thing about the park, sunday is the best day to go as there are no cruise ships, when the cruise ships are in the place is a zoo.

We dived the Caverns of Chankanaab last year. It's a shore dive right off the beach area. We just showed up at the park one afternoon after our boat dives and chose one of the dive kiosks for a guided dive.

The cavern entrance was filled with thousands of small silversides swimming in massive schools, forming a wall at the entrance. As we continued, the fish separated for us to pass through, then regrouped. We also saw several large Tarpon. Maximum depth was 22 feet.

Well worth doing at least once.

Back
Top Bottom