Changing Skins - Missing Valve Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EVOlution Diving

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I purchased a Whites MK2 package that came with a sports skin and a bullet skin. When I got my bullet skin(the sport skin was originally installed) it did not have a hole for the relief valve. What is the best way to put a hole in the skin? Leather punch, anything else that a dive shop would have sitting in the repair shop? What is the best way to remove that valve so that I can re install after I put the bullet skin over top the inner core?

Thanks in Advance

I just use a sharp pair of scissors to cut out the valve hole.
As far as the valve, the two pieces will unscrew from each other. Grab the oustide and the inside and turn counterclockwise to remove. I have never needed tools to remove a valve but if it to tight I saw a thread on here somewhere about a home made tool that seemed to work well.

I have the valve under the Bullet skin. (Outside the bag, of course! :D) It works just fine. According to Dive Rite In Scuba in Chicago, this is how they do all of them. So, you may want to talk to a dealer about how it's done.

I think he is talking about his exhaust valve, of which as a dealer you would want it on the outside of the skin. If you are you referring to a urine valve under the skin that's completely normal. Most of the time the bullet skin will be received with the exhaust valve hole uncut.

Skooter,

I was talking about the pee valve. I will keep that in mind about the exhaust valve.

I moved away from my dealer so I am in the look for a new one and was hoping not to make any major changes to my suit. Thanks for the feedback. I should get my suit tomorrow an will hopefully switch out my skins with no issues. Can't wait to dive with the bullet since I will be spending as much time as I can in the ocean.

-Evo

The best way to punch the hole in the skin is with a 3/8 gasket punch.

If you would like some advice on placement of the hole please PM me your suit size.

Cheers,

Justin

I decided to leave the valve underneath my bullet skin. For anyone that is changing skins I used a 1 inch ratchet to be able to get a grip on the p-valve. The inflate valve and the air release valve just required brute strength especially the air release valve. I found that using a grip skin that you would use to open a jar that was sealed tight helped a little bit especially to protect my hands.

I have the Tech skin with the sci-tech p-valve. The tech skin came with a flanged opening for the valve. I have found that it is extremely difficult, once taken apart, to re-engage the screw threads while reinstalling. I have to apply a lot of force to the two halves, and I am a large man. I have not had this issue with other p-valves I have owned. On a more personal level, I find water squirts out the valve's tiny back hole, if assembled, when flushing out the tube. It gets by the flat, clear "washer." Once again, never had this issue with other valves, like Dive-rite. Don't think it has been an issue diving, but then I have been in hot weather since I got it and there is a lot of condensation/sweat in the suit after a dive. Nothing like diving in 95 degree weather into 40 degree water at depth ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom