Changing mouth piece on a Hog Reg.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tddfleming

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had asked Jim Lapenta and Chris from Hog about changing my mouth piece. I wanted to change the org. mouth piece to a Sea Cure II, but did not know if that was the correct one. While Chris confirmed that I had the correct one, he did not have any experience with using the Sea Cure II. After PM Jim and Chris, I deceided to post for the rest of you wondering about the changing of the mouth piece for Hog regs. The reason I wanted to change the mouth pc. was that I felt the org. one was too big for my mouth and I was getting really bad dry mouth while diving and it only took a few min. to get the dry mouth. The dryness was so bad I was coughing, gagging and chocking though out the dive. The dry mouth had nothing to do with hydration, it was more like sleeping with your mouth open when you have a cold. Well, I switched it and have gone on 2 or 3 dives since. No more dry mouth!!!! Actully, it is the opposit now. By changing that mouth pc that was too big for me, made a big difference in my dive. Also, Sea Cure II works perfectly with the Hog Reg. Before I changed out my mouth pc, I went back to my Oceanic reg. which has a much smaller one, and had no issues with dry mouth. Beside the dry mouth, I was having issues with sore jaws days after the dive.

I can't speak for the dry mouth of HOG, but I can speak for the Seacure Mouth pieces. I use them on all of my regs. I just like the fact they can be molded to your mouth.

It's interesting that a mouthpiece solved the dry mouth issue you were having. I have the same sensation when I dive a HOG D1 that I've been playing with lately. That's the biggest (only really) issue I have with it. I think I have a couple seacure II laying around, I'll give it a shot this weekend.

I find just the opposite with HOG regs, I always have an abundance of "fluid" in the reg. I just slurp it up and swallow, never had dry mouth with these regs. No it does not breath wet, I dive in the salt water and never taste salt from the reg. I had a G250HP with a plastic air barrel and I would get horrendous dry mouth with that god forsaken thing.

It's interesting that a mouthpiece solved the dry mouth issue you were having. I have the same sensation when I dive a HOG D1 that I've been playing with lately. That's the biggest (only really) issue I have with it. I think I have a couple seacure II laying around, I'll give it a shot this weekend.

James:

This is the exact reason I posted this, also, with the urge from Jim. As I stated the org. mouth pc. was just too big, swimming and beathing with my mouth wide open was not working for me. I was not expecting that big of a difference but I will take too much spit over none at all. I hated diving, holding the dive flag, holding my reg in and coughing and gagging the whole way. Too top that off when diving a shallow site and trying to keep my reg in for 1.5 hours was just more than I wanted to deal with. My husband does not have this issue at all with his Hog, but he has a big mouth to begin with:) Since moving to FL and being able to dive a lot more than living in Va, I was starting to think that I will have to not dive at much due to this. Last week we got in 5 dives, had issues every time I was diving the org. Hog mouth pc, no issues when I switched to my Oceanic and no issues when I replaced the org mouth pc for the Sea CureII. I am not saying I could have gone to something like I had on my Oceanic, as that worked just fine for me. But I do like the fact that it just sits on my teeth without needing to bite on it.

Why wait? Let's hit Mansfield wednesday night. :)

No can do, I have BJJ tonight.

James:

This is the exact reason I posted this, also, with the urge from Jim. As I stated the org. mouth pc. was just too big, swimming and beathing with my mouth wide open was not working for me. I was not expecting that big of a difference but I will take too much spit over none at all. I hated diving, holding the dive flag, holding my reg in and coughing and gagging the whole way. Too top that off when diving a shallow site and trying to keep my reg in for 1.5 hours was just more than I wanted to deal with. My husband does not have this issue at all with his Hog, but he has a big mouth to begin with:) Since moving to FL and being able to dive a lot more than living in Va, I was starting to think that I will have to not dive at much due to this. Last week we got in 5 dives, had issues every time I was diving the org. Hog mouth pc, no issues when I switched to my Oceanic and no issues when I replaced the org mouth pc for the Sea CureII. I am not saying I could have gone to something like I had on my Oceanic, as that worked just fine for me. But I do like the fact that it just sits on my teeth without needing to bite on it.

I have seacure mouthpieces on all my other regs: scubapro and dive rite (aside from deco regs), but not yet on this HOG D1 since it's not mine but as I said I will try it now for sure. I love how comfy they are, although when you do gas sharing drills they aren't so fun.

Last edited:
No can do, I have BJJ tonight.

I have seacure mouthpieces on all my other regs: scubapro and dive rite (aside from deco regs), but not yet on this HOG D1 since it's not mine but as I said I will try it now for sure. I love how comfy they are, although when you do gas sharing drills they aren't so fun.

James:

Let me know if this helped with the Hog reg.

Desi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom