Changing Covid testing requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Returning home from CUN last month we were told at the airport our flight was delayed indefinitely due to "mechanical issues". A massive line at the customer service desk ensued and the guy next to me was desperate. He had tested positive and had been unable to fly out for more than a week after his original itinerary.

And although the "extra week in the sun" sounds great at first, it turns out there is a quarantine "hotel" somewhere on coz where you are basically confined to your room with meals brought in. Once the doctor reported a positive test they would not let him extend his stay at his original hotel.

Sounds like more vague hearsay with no verifiable details. What is the name of this alleged quarantine hotel on Coz? Without a name I'm not buying it. Who exactly did the doctor "report" the positive to and who is "they" who made him leave his hotel? When I have taken my covid tests I did not tell them what hotel I was staying at.

You make a great point.
For me, it becomes a nightmare scenario. For this reason, I will not travel outside the US until guidance is changed or the pandemic becomes endemic. I am not happy about my position but I have little choice.
It's quite easy to change flights now and travel insurance is reasonable for most additional costs incurred. For me Hawaii seems harder to travel to and is more of an issue if I test positive. Last time I was there they even wanted documentation just to go eat.

And although the "extra week in the sun" sounds great at first, it turns out there is a quarantine "hotel" somewhere on coz where you are basically confined to your room with meals brought in. Once the doctor reported a positive test they would not let him extend his stay at his original hohotel.
When I got one of my tests in Coz last month, I asked the doctor what happens of you test positive. He said you put your mask on and take a taxi back to your hotel.

When I got one of my tests in Coz last month, I asked the doctor what happens of you test positive. He said you put your mask on and take a taxi back to your hotel.

From every account I've seen, "you're on your own". One guy on C4U caught grief because he decided to self-quarantine in a hotel in Cancun. Which means he took the ferry and a bus/van knowing he was positive.

That seems to be what I have gathered as well, that you are on your own. I know the doctor did not know what hotel I was staying at and only had an email. So, he would have had a hell of a time reporting it to the hotel that I was staying at.

I would really appreciate it if anyone who tests positive on Cozumel would wait until they test negative before they get on a plane and sit next to me. Thank you.

From every account I've seen, "you're on your own". One guy on C4U caught grief because he decided to self-quarantine in a hotel in Cancun. Which means he took the ferry and a bus/van knowing he was positive.
I know with certainty that covid positive people in q. Roo are riding in taxis, riding in buses and riding in ferries. I know absolutely that covid positive people are shopping at stores and supermarkets. In Puerto Morelos the hotels have just changed their employment rules from regular covid testing and paying minimum wage to people who test positive, to telling people to stay home if they don't feel well, without pay. I can hardly imagine requiring positive tourists to stay at an isolation hotel.

I would really appreciate it if anyone who tests positive on Cozumel would wait until they test negative before they get on a plane and sit next to me. Thank you.
How do they get on the plane if they tested positive?

Isn't it a legit thing that some people test positive on an antigen long after they stop being contagious?

Isn't it a legit thing that some people test positive on an antigen long after they stop being contagious?
They may test positive on a PCR test, but I don't think on an antigen test (less sensitive).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom