changing batteries in Aladin Pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30

Reaction score
I have a Uwatec Aladin Pro that needs a new battery. Does it need to be send back to Uwatec or can an authorized dealer change the battery? If it can be done by authorized dive shop, I will be in Los Angeles for a week, could someone recommend a good diveshop for me. Thanks for any info.

If you can get the right battery and you have some soldering skills, you can change it yourself with new o-rings. Not sure about the new Pros but my old one has solder connections, not clips. Otherwise you should probably use an LDS who is authorized to do such change outs.

Not from your area so i don't know your local LDS's

there are 2 pro's
-the oldest, with a smaller display : also you can change the batteries by yourself
-the newer (one in the picture) : have to be sent in Uwatec

It is the current Aladin Pro that I talked about. It actually belonged to a friend. My biggest problem is that my friend does like not our local Scubapro/Uwatec store very much and she usually sends all Uwatec stuffs to an agent in Hong Kongfor service/new batteries etc. Since I am going to be in LA next week so I thought I might be able to get new batteries while I am there. Any idea if the LDS can change the batteries themselves or do they also have to send it back to Uwatec for that.

Sounds like it may be the newer one

I have an old one that says Beuchat at the top of the face and Aladin Pro on the bottom of the face. This one is soldered in, not sure about yours though.

Andy

Stick thin nose pliers or similar in the 2 dents in the round end cap and unscrew

Remove cap and O ring, Inspect O ring and if Fine, regrease and place back on cap

Go to Maplins/Radio Shack and buy an AA size Lithium 3.6 volt battery (LR-07)

Unsolder old battery, solder in new battery, direct to base and stub

Replace cap and O ring

Go diving

Cost to do it yourself $7 and 5 mins

Cost for Uwatec kit $45

Cost for LDS to do the same as above $50

I know cos I used to work in a LDS and we used to pop next door to Tandy's (Radio shack). The shop never changed the O rings and never had any problems (they dont move in use)

Obviously not recommended if the warantee is important.

Oh and by the way the Uwatec battery left guage is not a true guge its just a guess based on the hours on, so many go flat with battery still showing good

And for the record, to the person who commented above. Suunto made their first dive computers in 86, over a year before Alladin (Uwatec) so they have just as much experiance (It was called the ME and mine is still fully functional, as is my 87 Alladin Pro (their first computer))

Suunto is not conservative, it uses the RGBM model (like the new Smart Uwatecs), this is because it models solution bubbles as well as theoretical compartments. I'd hazard to say its not that its conservative, its that the other models are not as safe. I certainly feel better using the Vyper for up to 45 mins deco than Buhlmann tables. But have sinced swapped to VR3 and deep stops

If you take it to Batteries Plus, they will replace the battery and solder if necessary free of charge. The standard capacity battery is 9.99 and the high capacity version is 11.99. go to batteriesplus.com for a list of stores near you.

I'm headed to batteriesplus tomorrow. The shop wants $135 to change the battery in my old Aladin Sport. Its been a great computer but I was ready to junk it and buy a new computer. There is a BatteriesPlus store several miles from me. It will be worth a try. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom