Changes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northeastwrecks

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The formatting doesn't bother me, and I appreciate the effort that went into this.

That said, I note that the Board is now "open for business" to advertisers, etc... I'm planning to keep a rather close eye on this as I have no intention of getting scuba spam, regardless of what assurances might appear in the TOS. I've got better ways than a TOS to deal with those issues.

Of course I havnt been here long either. but in my industry they have changed everything from part numbers to distributors in the last few years. so just when you get used to something ShaBame! its gone. The SB has alot of new feature's I like. I love the mouseovers where you can read the post before you have to open it. the dropdown box's under the user's name so you can go right to the info you want to. Thats a few things I found on my first day of cruising around.

Mike
O ya this part to :)
One thing tho I really liked the Macaws on the old board, it made you feel like you where in Paradise.

Be assured, in the 3+ years since ScubaBoard opened we have never sold any personal information, allowed any malicious advertising or even sent an opt-in email ourselves. Personal information will not be sold, spam to our users will not happen and while you may see a few commercial ads around the site, they are used to support it and keep us open. Ads are meant for banners and commercial offers posts, not for email or popups.

Northeastwrecks:
The formatting doesn't bother me, and I appreciate the effort that went into this.

That said, I note that the Board is now "open for business" to advertisers, etc... I'm planning to keep a rather close eye on this as I have no intention of getting scuba spam, regardless of what assurances might appear in the TOS. I've got better ways than a TOS to deal with those issues.

Hi Northeastwrecks,

Some respectfull thoughts in no particular order:

1. I see nothing to indicate email spam by the owner of this BB and frankly no one who monetizes a board like this even bothers. I'm speaking from many years of first hand experience. The revenue is derived from Campaigns sold at the top and the bottom of this BB. Although I respect your post it's also laced with some negative implications and perhaps threats without any measure of proof. If I have overreacted, please excuse me. It's really difficult to interpret the typed word is some cases.

2. You should continue to watch this Community. I encourage you and everyone else to do this. :) You among others built it and contine to have a pride of ownership to a certain exstent. Forums are like buying shoes, you try a few pairs on, find the ones you like and sometimes they wear out so it's time to get a new pair of shoes. Some people have 2 or more pairs of fav shoes. Nothing personell :)

3. A board of this size cost a lot of money to run and maintain and last time I checked the owner did not have a 501c (IRS non profit status) classification so they have not only the obligation to monetize this Forum to cover costs but also generate a reasonable profit. Some of which is returned to members like you with enahnced features, greater stability, and a professional team of Guidence Counselors :) For example, the daily bandwidth consumption of this BB is greater than 99% of all web sites. A reasonable guesstimate is over 12 gigs a day.

4. vB has several options that you control for email. Turn them all of if you wish and this may provide a greater measure of comfort for you. Matter of fact, their is absolutley NO way to exstract and use your email add via Admin if you have all your email options turned off.

5. I won't go into much of the details, but I can tell you with absolute assurance that this Community came very very close from vanishing from the face of the internet in the past. NOT with the current geeks in charge. Frankly and respectfully, I'm very happy that they steped up to the plate with all the new stuff and features. I for one will tell my fav dive shops, trainign org, boat operators, and travel agent to advertise on this BB. This really helps all of us and I respectfully encourage not only you but everyone else to do this.

Best of luck and dive safe :)

As all things....some day this too shall pass.

Steve_S:
Hi Northeastwrecks,

5. I won't go into much of the details, but I can tell you with absolute assurance that this Community came very very close from vanishing from the face of the internet in the past. NOT with the current geeks in charge. Frankly and respectfully, I'm very happy that they steped up to the plate with all the new stuff and features. ...........

So, the obvious next questions are:

1. Are KN and LD still the owners or involved in any way?

2. Who are the current "geeks in charge"?

Detroit diver:
#1 There will be an announcement made in the near future.
#2 See #1
Thanks for your concern.

The number one reason I like the old scubaboard better:

#1 I have absolutely nothing better to do with my time than to come on here after all the hard work the people that run this board have done and ***** about it. Oh did I mention this board is free, I hate that to.

Thanks Scubaboard I for one DO appreciate all the work, time, money effort that you all put in to this board. Keep up the good work!!!

Scott

Natasha:
Detroit diver:
#1 There will be an announcement made in the near future.
#2 See #1
Thanks for your concern.

Detroit:

My spider sense is telling me that this means the answer to #1 is no....

scubasean:
Detroit:
My spider sense is telling me that this means the answer to #1 is no....

Hello,

Does it really matter if they are? If they choose to participate then great, if they don't then that's their loss not ours.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom