Changes to Ikelite DSLR Port System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup - I was told 3 weeks for the upgrade, but the sucker came back in one week - looks great Ikelite, again you haven't kept to your expected repair time frames but consequently have another delighted customer!

John

Me too !!!
10 days waiting but I am from France !!!!
It's a very fast service !!!

thanks a lot Ike !!!

I just assembled a new Ikelite D90 housing with a 18-135 port body (5510.28) and 8" dome and I noticed a lot of give in the connection between the port and housing (about 4mm of side to side flex). I can't believe that's a normal condition and I'm reluctant to try it out.

I intend to send for the upgrade but I'm concerned that the addition of two locks will not be enough to solve the problem simply because of the range of motion. Is this how the port is intended to seat with my configuration?

I joined the forum to ask this question and coincidentally found the modification notice. Which I'm greatly encouraged by. Also very happy to find Ikelite staff and experienced photographers here to respond.

My question is not about the twin lock system failing, but about the flex of the port body against the o-ring on the housing. Has anyone experienced leaks on account of this?

Last edited:
The port is able to rock side to side when installed on the housing. As long as the port locks are securely locked there will not be a leaking problem.

If you are still concerned you can try taking your housing diving without a camera installed on the first dive.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Thanks for the reassurance! That's all I needed. I've yet to purchase the strobes so I'm unable to dive it with the dust cap on the cable attachment. Any recommendation about how to get around that?

I've yet to purchase the strobes so I'm unable to dive it with the dust cap on the cable attachment. Any recommendation about how to get around that?

The metal cap for the bulkhead connector on the housing is an o-ring sealed waterproof cap. So you can dive with the housing as long as the bulkhead cap is in place.

The plastic caps for cord ends are dust caps and not waterproof.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

Thanks again for the advice. I'll first send in for the modification and I imagine that will help a lot.

One thought I had to possibly counteract the sway is to use a second o-ring (0105) on the connection or a broader o-ring with the same circumference. However, if it's a secure connection with the movement, then I'll refrain from trying anything like that.

I'm a little disappointed that the complimentary retrofit is only being offered to systems purchased after October of 2009. I've purchased two housings within the last 3 years. The first for a Canon 400D and then a second one this past February when I upgraded my camera to a Canon 50D. Less than a year later and one major dive trip in and I have to shell out another 10% to upgrade the housing? Not to mention, I'll have to upgrade my 8" dome port body for another $60.00.

I'm sure I'll do it before in the next few months, but it does leave a little bit of a bitter taste.

In November we will have both Flex Arm and 1" diameter ball mounts available for the top of the housing. The mounting block is 1" square and accepts a 1/4-20 threaded screw.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
hi !
what is the ikelike number for Flex Arm and 1" diameter ball mounts available for the top of the housing ?

thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom