Changes in DIR Philosophy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just try to use the philosophy when considering a new piece of gear or practice.

What problem does it solve?
Is that the best way to solve the problem?
What new problems does the 'solution' introduce?

For example, I know someone recently who said to me "I'm thinking of switching to a long hose, but I don't like the short bungeed backup. How about if I go to a long hose and have a normal octopus length backup?"

I thought about it and gave the following answer:

"There is a problem with this. Why are you switching to along hose? It's so you can share it in an OOA emergency, right? So you have room to work with when you hand off the regulator? [Note I didn't go into the reasons you want to hand off your primary reg, that is a separate issue.]

"Yes".

"So someone is OOA and comes to you for air. You hand off your long hose since that is your plan. Now what do you do? You reach for the octopus to breathe it yourself? Where is it? If it was bungeed on a short hose you would know exactly where it is with no fumbling. Ideally you can even get to it hands-free. But you have an octopus-length octopus so where is it?"

"Even if you do find it because it is clipped or something so it can't move around you still have to undo the clip. Meanwhile, you have no air and you have a long hose running somewhere on the right side of your head to the other diver. Are you sure the octopus-length hose is not going to foul on the other divers hose? It may have already done that, since you have this octopus (40" or so) hose running right near where the long hose runs on your right side, before the deployment of the long hose ever happened."

Of course, if it wasn't clipped to something there is a whole different cluster happening there. :D

The point being that an 'octo' is 'octo length' so it can be handed to the other diver. If you are keeping it for yourself and using a long hose for your primary to hand THAT to the other diver, that extra hose is a hazard and not a benefit.

So I told this diver (whom I dive with sometimes) that I would rather see them in a standard setup, or a "long hose with bungeed backup", but mixing the two in the way suggested is a real problem waiting to happen.

By the way, I have done many dives recently for an instructor class with an octo hose on my primary (40") and a short bungeed backup. That way I can still hand off my primary reg but I don't have 7 feet of hose getting in the way when I do the frequent "remove your gear on the bottom" drills that this class seems to require for some reason. Also, since the class' agency standards require a snorkel (mumbly grumbly), I'm not going to mix that required snorkel with an 'over the head' long hose. (The reason why is left as an exercise for the reader.)

The point being that you have to work out these issues and conflicts. Then convince others that it truely is a 'better mousetrap'. This is the way new ideas catch on all the time.

By the way, I'm just a lowly fundies grad who is working off the rust, and I made most of that answer up when I was asked the question. I then referred the person asking to some real experts on the subject. I don't claim to know anything about anything, so apply liberal salt.

Mo2vation:
If its robust enough to be of concern...:wink:

---
Ken

"Robust" is soo 2004, "Slick" is the new catch phrase.:D Didnt you get the memo?

WaterDawg:
"Robust" is soo 2004, "Slick" is the new catch phrase.:D Didnt you get the memo?
No, no. "Slick" was kicked out of GUE :wink:

radinator:
I just try to use the philosophy when considering a new piece of gear or practice.

What problem does it solve?
Is that the best way to solve the problem?
What new problems does the 'solution' introduce? . . .<snip>
And how does it impact the fit, form and function of the Unified Team?

Good point, the team must be considered as well. Thanks Kevin.

So I guess we're back to "cool?" "Way cool" for those of you south of Big Sur?

Ken - I'm with you buddy. I can't be that anal to care. When it is something monumental and dive altering - then fine. Until then I'm not going to sweat it.

fishb0y:
So I'm curious... I think it was brought up in another thread or I maybe read it in the Fundies book, but a diver needs to wear a black silicone mask as part of his gear. May or may not be true, that is not my question. How would you, as a community of DIR divers change the DIR philosophy such that another piece of equipment is considered?

Do you need to wait for George or JJ to decide, do you debate it in forums other than here (debate is not allowed) or do you wait for the next edition of a text book to appear?

Thanks in advance.

really it sounds like you're just trolling, but what the hell...

it helps to look for precident. chances are you're not the first idiot to come up with a given idea. usually there's a perfectly good answer which has worked before. don't try to be clever, just use that one (if its not broke, don't fix it). there may be debate in which case you really need to engage yourself, your team and your community in the debate. if you've really got something honestly broken and honestly come up with a unique idea then you need to post to gavinscooters and everyone can tell you why you're wrong and then you can go do it anyway. if you don't get killed doing it eventually it becomes DIR...

most of the arguments on scubaboard are about garbage that has been hashed and rehashed a million times and there's nothing new about it, so there is no point in debate. that is why it appears like debate is not allowed. if you could actually come up with an original question ("black mask skirts" is about as unoriginal as the idea of breathing oxygenated gas...) then it could be debated. if it was really original the debate would surely spread to all the other lists as well. guess what? the divers on scubaboard just aren't that original... its been done before.

Let me say that the philosophy doesn't change. At all.

Occasionally, modifications will be made to details.

[edit: details of the application of the philosophy.. ie, slight modifications to gear requirements and/or placement or procedures.]

jonnythan:
Occasionally, modifications will be made to details.

ah.... well...

in my book, modifying the details means change

eyebrow

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom