Question Change sorb between dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I did a 2-hour dive in my rEvo. And was planning on another 2-hour dive the next day. That 4 hours is inside the 4½hour scrubber limit. But given the choice, I would rotate out the 1st scrubber and put a fresh scrubber in the 2nd hole. This would start me with a complete fresh scrubber(s) for the second dive with little waste.

I've also seen people running scrubber cartridges and keep track of the use on each one. Swap back and forth to use up scrubber to match planned dives and keep other scrubbers for other dives they would be better matched to.

It is still the same. If the cover comes off, it gets the build checklist.

Lets say I do a little check dive. 30-45 minutes and find the drysuit has a leak. Go home and fix it, takes a few days. Go back the next weekend and see if it is fixed. I'll plan 60-90 minutes to check it. That would all be on the same scrubber. While the rebreather is sitting around the house it will be pulled apart and cleaned. The scrubber will be bagged and stored. No rotating, no exchange, go back out on exactly what was in it before.

If there is any doubt about the scrubber, it gets dumped.

Hello,

If changing sorb between two dives on the same day the key elements are to:

Make sure you actually change the sorb
Make sure you install the canister (forgetting it entirely it has happened at least twice that I know of)
Make sure you install the canister correctly (e.g. O ring and spacer + temp stick connected in an inspiration unit, or canister order in a revo)
Complete positive and negative pressure checks
Unfortunately, as we have previously demonstrated, a 5-minute prebreathe does not reliably demonstrate the presence of a working scrubber.

I would not normally be more 'aggressive' than that for a simple sorb change between same-day dives.

For overnight or longer gaps the unit gets taken apart so that everything dries, counterlungs and hoses get washed etc. Then its a 'new build' from the ground up with whatever that entails for your particular unit.

One of the issues referred to in a few posts above is the storage of partly used sorb that you intend using again. This was a hotly debated issue in the community a few years ago so we tried to bring some objectivity to it in the attached study. In summary, for overnight storage of a partly used canister we showed that leaving unsealed (ie not 'bagged') makes little or no difference to performance, but if you leave it unsealed for a month then there is a measurable and significant degradation in performance. You can draw your own conclusions, but bagging is a good idea for storage longer than overnight.

Simon M

Attachments

• Pollock_StorageCO2Absorbant.pdf
    166.5 KB · Views: 73
I was speaking with a female ambo in Brisbane a couple of years ago and she
expressed the utter privilege and joy she experienced having worked with you

For overnight or longer gaps the unit gets taken apart so that everything dries, counterlungs and hoses get washed etc. Then its a 'new build' from the ground up with whatever that entails for your particular unit.

Simon M

I'll second this. I don't want any funk growing in my loop, and it insures every thing gets inspected every day.

Back
Top Bottom