Chances of diving Niihau last week in Sept or first in Oct

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

openhelix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm booked for my trip to Kauai Sept 29th - Oct 9th. While I know that's the tail end of the season, does anyone have any more insight on my chances? I spoke with a person at Fathom Five and at Seasport and they seemed not to have much to say other than "that's near the end of the season"... I was hoping for something more, even anecdotal...

The struggle with knowing about diving Niihau at that point of the season is that you don't know until you know. It's all based on mother nature. There is no set end or beginning of the season date wise. The charters start going as soon as the north swells go away and as soon as they return trips are done for the year. It can vary a couple of weeks in either direction. The swells can (an often do) have enough impact on the crossing as well as dive conditions at Lehua/Lehua that it is just not enjoyable for divers. As divemasters here we never want the season to end so we go as long as we can. Sorry it's not more info - but maybe the knowledge that it is really mother nature based helps.

Have a great week

That makes sense. Thanks for the info

I'll be arriving just a few days before OpenHelix. Will cross my fingers and pray to Pele and her sibling gods to keep the swells at bay. Hoping to experience both Niihau and tunnels

Bubbles Below scuba charters offers "out of season" charters, so you should give them a call as they will go across with a minimum of 4 divers if the seas are not up. for the past 3 years, Bubbles Below has ran Niihau charters through the 3rd week of Oct, and some even in Nov./Dec. Bubbles Below was the first dive company to offer Niihau charters, starting in 1984, and are still opening up new areas to dive! Another area Bubbles Below offers is Mana Crack/NaPali Coast dive trips!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom