Best chance of diving Niihau in late April?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkSteward

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi SB'ers,

Long time lurker here - finally decided to join the community!

We are a group of 6 traveling to Kauai in the last week of April and really want to dive Niihau, unfortunately we have a full itinerary for the week and can only have one day dedicated to diving. Will be staying in Poipu. I know it's a long shot and completely weather permitting - we have come to terms with this and completely good with diving local as a back up plan.

I was hoping to get some advice on what would be our best bet to cross to Niihau around this time. Based on extensive internet sleuthing, I've narrowed our choices down to two shops: Bubbles Below and Explore Kauai Scuba. I understand that EKS goes whenever possible, have a smaller dive group (we'd have a private charter) and have shorter crossing times due to their location. I understand that Bubbles do 3 tank dives but also means a longer day. Between the two options we are pretty neutral since the shorter day and crossing time makes up for one less tank. I also know both shops have awesome DM's and Captains.

I was wondering if there's a better chance of getting out there with one or the other, due to boat size or weather protocols etc.? Or should we just go with whichever can best accommodate us? Any guidance would be great appreciated!

-SS

I'd say go with whomever has the biggest boat and deepest V. Hawaii open ocean is "no ****" weather. We do the occassional planned trip to Molokai and Lanai, and we cancel about half of them due to weather, and that is a 38 gross ton 50' boat. Book it and pray for light winds. They can almost certainly take you local diving if the crossing will be too rough.

I personally used Bubbles below this past June and Capt Clay and DM Manny were awesome! The ride home is a bet wet for sure, but worth it. Take some seasick pills starting the night before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom