CG rescues prop struck diver - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Coast Rescues diver struck by boat propeller
BOCA RATON, Fla. (CBS12) — One diver is recovering in the hospital after a scuba diving accident in Boca Raton Thursday.

The United States Coast Guard received a call just before 3 p.m. Wednesday from a charter boat called the "Lady Go Diver" company. The Coast Guard says that a diver was struck by a moving propeller while in the water.

The Coast Guard told CBS12 that there was a rescue helicopter unit nearby, and the aircraft was diverted to a half of a nautical mile from the shore in northeast Boca Raton.

The diver was taken to Delray Medical Center. Injuries are unknown.

Drift dive?
Usually in that part of the world. I don't know in this case.

The Lady Go Diver is the boat used by Dixie Divers of Deerfield Beach.

The boat schedule for Thursday was for spearfishing and lobstering. That usually means a drift dive with divers in groups hauling flags.

Typical protocol for live-boat drifts call for the diver(s) to hold position until the boat backs down to them and disengages its drive (props in neutral) - the captain then declares this to the crew who then directs the divers it is safe to approach and begin recovery.

Typical protocol for live-boat drifts call for the diver(s) to hold position until the boat backs down to them and disengages its drive (props in neutral) - the captain then declares this to the crew who then directs the divers it is safe to approach and begin recovery.
The article does not say the propeller was the one on the dive boat. The diver might have been struck by another boat. It has happened before.

I witnessed a near miss on a drift dive off of W.Palm. ..really scared the crap out of me, because from my perspective, i could not tell if the diver in question actually got hit for a few seconds.

IMHO, it was caused by loose protocol on a group "shark" dive where there were (obviously) distractions in the water

Hope the diver is this story is ok and makes a full recovery

Are you sure that you aren't referring to Rob Murphy?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom