CG rescues prop struck diver - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I've heard, it was Lady Go Diver that struck the diver. The diver was preparing to go up the ladder (can't confirm but heard the 2nd ladder was off for repairs) when the boat went into reverse. Diver got sucked into the prop, snapped a femur, lost tons of blood but survived.

I heard all of this last weekend but nothing new since. As I said, this is what I heard, not witnessed, so as with most incidents discussed here, some details may be inaccurate.

This thread has now made me paranoid. How close would you have to be to the prop for this to happen?
Depends on the type of boat and where the engine is located.

Sounds like a freak accident that unfortunately can happen anywhere.....to be safe, make sure the boat is in neutral before heading to the ladder...the only way to be 100% sure is to make sure the captain isn't near the throttle(s).

Depends on the type of boat and where the engine is located.

Sounds like a freak accident that unfortunately can happen anywhere.....to be safe, make sure the boat is in neutral before heading to the ladder...the only way to be 100% sure is to make sure the captain isn't near the throttle(s).

ok, but you can't always see the captain so what is the maximum distance that would essentially result in safety no matter the boat?

That number does not exist, as diving is not safe no matter what you do. To be recovered safely while live boat, ask the captain to show you his hands while you are being recovered. If his hands are visible to you, he isn't engaging engines by mistake.

That number does not exist, as diving is not safe no matter what you do. To be recovered safely while live boat, ask the captain to show you his hands while you are being recovered. If his hands are visible to you, he isn't engaging engines by mistake.

You do realize that now I'm even more paranoid & the captain & probably my dive buddies are going to hate for what I put them through in the future. lol Kidding aside, this whole thread will make me more careful moving forward. Thanks.

You do realize that now I'm even more paranoid & the captain & probably my dive buddies are going to hate for what I put them through in the future. lol Kidding aside, this whole thread will make me more careful moving forward. Thanks.

The location of the prop also makes a difference. If the boat has outboard motors the props will be more exposed than an inboard with a prop shaft under the boat. Look at the underside of the boat while surfacing to see if the prop is spinning.

Make sure the captain knows you are behind the boat if he is backing towards you.

Keep your reg in your mouth until you are on the boat so you can drop out of the way of the boat if necessary.

Don't linger around the stern of the boat while on the surface.

Use a SMB while on the surface to warn boaters.

No reason to be paranoid, just take steps to increase your situational awareness around props.

My experience of group drift diving is as the divers go out of air as the dive progress, the DM will send them up, I've seen that happen countless times, sometimes a single diver even and not a buddy pair. This could have been a diver still rising and a boat going by not seeing the diver coming from below. IMHO this is why every diver from OW level should have a SMB and know how to deploy. If you're a buddy pair or solo and rising to the surface no one will know, the marker bouy is dragged by the DM, who is now a long distance away from you after your safety stop, you are unmarked and unknown, especially where multiple operators are in the area, they only focus on their DM's marker.

The location of the prop also makes a difference. If the boat has outboard motors the props will be more exposed than an inboard with a prop shaft under the boat. Look at the underside of the boat while surfacing to see if the prop is spinning.

Make sure the captain knows you are behind the boat if he is backing towards you.

Keep your reg in your mouth until you are on the boat so you can drop out of the way of the boat if necessary.

Don't linger around the stern of the boat while on the surface.

Use a SMB while on the surface to warn boaters.

No reason to be paranoid, just take steps to increase your situational awareness around props.
If a captain is backing down on you, he needs to go back to "how to pick a diver up" school. Anyone who aims the meat choppers at a diver in the water is doing it wrong.

And "Keep your reg in your mouth so you can drop out of the way"? No. Down there is where the meat choppers are. Up on the surface is where the air is, and also where the meat choppers aren't. The meat choppers are designed to suck large volumes of water in and spit it out the other direction. If you are down in the water, you get sucked right along with the water.

I live boated 25,000 NOAA divers over 17 years, and countless thousands of recreational divers. The Ultimate Getaway out of Fort Myers does far more than me. I never had a propeller/diver interface, and their one was due to the diver completely disregarding the briefing.

The SMB advice is excellent, and it should be used as a dSMB to ensure that the boat knows where you are and you are on your way to the surface. This also allows the boat to "guard you" from other boats who may want to see what that orange thing in the water is.

My experience of group drift diving is as the divers go out of air as the dive progress, the DM will send them up, I've seen that happen countless times, sometimes a single diver even and not a buddy pair. This could have been a diver still rising and a boat going by not seeing the diver coming from below. IMHO this is why every diver from OW level should have a SMB and know how to deploy. If you're a buddy pair or solo and rising to the surface no one will know, the marker bouy is dragged by the DM, who is now a long distance away from you after your safety stop, you are unmarked and unknown, especially where multiple operators are in the area, they only focus on their DM's marker.
While it is possible something very unusual happened, what you are describing is not how things are done in South Florida and on that boat. (Yes, I have done drift diving off of that boat.)

Divers are generally put in the water in small groups, usually just buddy teams. With most operators, there is no DM in the water. (This operator never put a DM in the water when I used them, but it has been about 3 years since I have used them, and it is possible they changed.) The only one I know in that area that puts a DM in the water does so for the benefit of any divers who may want one, and usually it is only a couple people at most. The dive teams all pull a dive flag that floats on the surface, and the boat follows along as they drift staying a safe distance away while still maintaining contact. As teams finish their dives, they typically ascend together, reeling in the line from the dive flag as they do. They reach the surface together next to the flag, and the boat comes to pick them up. In the unusual event that a diver in a group wants to ascend early, the diver follows the dive flag line to the surface and comes up next to the flag.

The only time a diver should be surfacing away from the flag would be a mistake, such as getting separated from the diver holding the flag. (Groups are typically warned that the only diver who is never lost in the group is the one with the flag.) If a diver does get separated, then a DSMB is very much a good idea. If a diver does surface after such a separation without a DSMB, then that diver will not be far from a flag[ in fact, the diver will usually be within a cluster of flags which should keep other boats away.

I was separated from the flag once last year, but that was a very unusual occurrence. Another boat had a single diver hunting, and he had hooked the line on the reef while he went off hunting, getting pretty far away from his flag. (That is illegal, BTW.) He surfaced in our cluster, and our boat notified his boat. They picked him up and then returned to retrieve the flag he had hooked on the reef. Feeling the expected resistance of the reef when they tried to lift it, the boat went to full power to break it loose. They probably wondered why my boat was blowing its horn as they did. Anyway, eventually they realized that it was not their flag they were lifting, but mine. When I realized I was about to undertake an unscheduled water skiing adventure, I let go of the flag and deployed a DSMB.

Back
Top Bottom