Certifying own kids? Good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefseal

Contributor
Reaction score
I have 3 kids chompin' on the bit to get certified. Oldest is ripe for basic OW (14) My 11 year is not far behind. The 8 year old has a way to go. (still thinks my pony bottle is his)

Wanted to get others opinions if worth my going for becoming an instructor if only plan to certify my own kids. I would not look to be doing this as side profession and make $$. People home school, why not do their certifiy own kids?

I did my OW with NASDS and most of my recent training with TDS/SDI. Only need one more specialty for Master diver (rescue diver)

What does it typically cost to get your OWI card? What's the annual liability insurance, annual instructor fees? Teaching materials?

I'm suspecting it will be cheaper to pay an instructor to certify my 3 kids than becoming an instructor but it would be cool to certify and train my own kids.

Have others done this before? Bad Idea?

No, its not worth becoming an instructor just for your own kids. Its a very expensive proposition as an instructor for the program and then for the insurance afterwards. Also, as an instructor your recreational diving will also change if you dive with non-professional rated divers.

Also, as an instructor your recreational diving will also change if you dive with non-professional rated divers.

Pls. clarify what you mean by this? This is a liability thing when diving with other recreational divers? (if there is a mishap..) I recall a conversation with a dive master that we were trying to have become our dive coordinator. He was reluctant to because of pot'l liability implications.

I guess I'm better off going the hire a dive instructor route with someone I feel comfortable certifying my own brood.

Don't teach someone close to you. Years ago I deliberately passed my girlfriends' basic cert to another instructor that I trusted.

And to this day, I won't teach classes for my wife.

There's just too many pitfalls, both in the class and the tutoring process, and too many oportunities to open emotional wounds.

All the best, James

From my family, team, coaching and teaching experiences in swimming, skiing and scuba; always hand off your relatives to a quality non-relative.

With regard to recreational diving changing when your an instructor; change is constant, you are never the same as you were. Legal smegal; is there really any substance to this liability fear? If I'm not working, I'm not working!

I'm a teacher, a coach, and a scuba instructor. I will never teach family, or loved ones. It is much better from both sides to let them have another instructor. Trust me. And don't get your instructor just for your kids. If you want to get your instructor rating, it should be because you want to teach others(read here, strangers/non-relatives), and help them learn the love of diving.

My kids are sea rats. They have been in the ocean swimming, before they could walk well. They have a love of the sea that is amazing. My daughter was a future buddy with SDI at 9. With another instructor, and me far far away. At 10, she went through the full OW class and certified all on her own. With another instructor- not me or my hubby. Our son did the same. They went on to get their specialties and advanced too. They are just chomping at the bit to be old enough to get their Rescue. In the mean time, I teach them nothing. I dive with them as Mom and their buddy. It is fantastic.

I have 3 kids chompin' on the bit to get certified. Oldest is ripe for basic OW (14) My 11 year is not far behind. The 8 year old has a way to go. (still thinks my pony bottle is his)

Wanted to get others opinions if worth my going for becoming an instructor if only plan to certify my own kids. I would not look to be doing this as side profession and make $$. People home school, why not do their certify own kids?

I did my OW with NASDS and most of my recent training with TDS/SDI. Only need one more specialty for Master diver (rescue diver)

What does it typically cost to get your OWI card? What's the annual liability insurance, annual instructor fees? Teaching materials?

I'm suspecting it will be cheaper to pay an instructor to certify my 3 kids than becoming an instructor but it would be cool to certify and train my own kids.

Have others done this before? Bad Idea?

Two out of the 5 instructors at my LDS are NAUI Course Directors (certified to train instructors) and none of the instructors will train their own relatives. They always have one of the other instructors do so.

The do so to avoid a conflict of interest and for many of the reasons mentioned by FDog.

Doctors and dentists generally don't treat their relatives for some of the same reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom