Certification Transferabilities?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't need to transfer anything anywhere. Most certs issued by most agencies are recognized by other agencies. If you want to eventually become an instructor, it is a little different. There are agencies that will issue an instructor cert with proof of a current instructor cert from another agency and a check. However, most agencies require a crossover program. This is where you learn about their standards. You would also have to complete the instructor examination for whatever agency/ies you want to teach for. Before you get too set on completing all your training with your current instructor, you need to find out if he can even train instructors. For PADI, only course directors can train instructors. For NAUI, they are called instructor trainers. If your current instructor is not an IT, then you won't be able to get your instructor training from him. Now, if you're looking to work somewhere as an instructor, then your best option is to train at that location. If you want to travel and work, and you're finding most instructor jobs are PADI, then just become a PADI instructor. It will cost you a lot less in the long run. Most instructor development courses run about $1300-1700, plus materials $600-800, plus instructor examination $500, plus agency fee and liability insurance $800. So, after you get your divemaster rating, you will be looking at about $3500 plus a lot of time involvement. Add another $2000 + (materials, course fee, exam, agency fee) for a crossover program.

My instructor is a NAUI IT. So no worries there. I realize that most people train to Instructor at the location they plan to work. That will not work for me as I have a couple years left on my current contract, and I'm trying to do this in my spare time.

Thanks for the info on the crossover costs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom