Certification recommendation in Dallas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emmagee

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since we are going to the Carribean in Oct. for our honeymoon, my girlfriend has decided she would like to get certified. I have not been diving in 12-13 years, so I will need a refresher course as well. Any advice on a specific instructor or dive shop recommendations?

I just started this search today, primarily on the 'net and the yellow pages. I went by Dive West as they are close to us, seemed like a pretty nice shop. From what I've seen on the 'net, both Ocean's Window and Lone Star SCUBA look pretty good but we haven't been by either location yet. If it matters she will probably do only classroom and pool work here and her open water check-outs in Aruba.

I would prefer to use a facility that is also a Scuba Pro dealer as I'm sure we will buy some gear and I always had good luck with Scuba Pro. However, that isn't the most important consideration, I really want her to have a good instructor.

Sorry if this isn't the proper forum for this question, but I'm a newbie to this board and didn't see any training forums. Thanks for any advice or recommendations!

This is the perfect place to ask this question. I can't help you as I live in the Houston area but there will be some Northern Swampers along soon who can tell you where to go!

I'm not happy with the instruction in my hometown and I'd like to get through rescue diver this summer. I bought all my gear down at Scubatoys in Dallas and thought I might use them. I went in there last weekend to take my regs in for svc and they've remodeled and expanded. The kid at the counter said they were moving into a bigger building. They seem to really be growing. I didn't recognize anyone behind the counter anymore. I'm wondering if they aren't getting too big and kinda impersonal.
I guess I would like to deal with a dive shop that can remember that I bought over $4,000.00 worth of gear from them over the last couple of years. :wink:

I'm thinking I might want to continue my training in a more personal atmosphere, although I don't know any of the instructors over there other than Larry (the owner)and I've never taken a class with them. Their classes may be small and personal, I don't know. Scubatoys has NAUI instructors and their own indoor pool.

I did notice that Scubatoys has picked up the Scubapro brand since the last time I was in there, so it may be a good shop for y'all. I bought all my gear from Larry and got a pretty good deal. There prices are better than some of the other shops around. I have checked prices in the past on some of their stuff with Divers Direct mail order shop, and the prices are almost the same. The guy at the counter said they can't give as good discounts on Scubapro gear as they they can on other brands due to Scubapro's pricing rules.

A friend of mine got certified through Dive West a while back, and they seemed to like it fine (although they are more your dive 2 or 3 times a year type so I don't know how much insight that gives you). I believe Dive West gives SSI certifications.

Twobit Texan just finished his DMship and I believe he really liked his instructor. I forget the guy's name but Twobit said that the guy was with a shop in Ft. Worth and that didn't work out real well so he is kind of freelancing at the moment. I think Twobit's instructor teaches SDI and PADI. I'm sure Two bit will be by to give you the details about his instructor. TexasMike also used the same instructor and really seemed to like him.

Which brings me back around to me. Twobit, I was wanting to find out more about your instructor. I would like to get through rescue diver this summer and I know you and Mike both really like your instructor....and it would be cool to have you or Mike DMing for my class.

Sorry if I wasn't real helpful. I'm sure someone will come along who can help both of us out.

...and welcome to the Scubaboard!

I recently got my OW cert through a new LDS in Frisco. bluedolphinscuba.com Mike Tizbyr is a very nice fellow, been diving 25+ years. If i'm not mistaken he may still be running a 'special' two for one OW certification. He would probably work something out for you since you would just need a refresher. Unfortunately he doesn't sell ScubaPro prods (which is what I own) but he does service them. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Although I am not affiliated with the shop at all, I do frequently stop in for a chat.

You might also look into Aqua Adventures, on Greenville Ave. Britt is an outstanding dive shop operator and they have excellent instructors there. I'm not certain he carries ScubaPro, but you can ask him. Good luck!

http://www.aquaadventures.com

We just got certified through Scubatoys and we highly recommend them. Greg Gebhardt was our instructor and he was awesome. Not only is he an excellent instructor, but he has the patience of a saint. All of the divemasters were great too. We had 9 people in our class. Or if you'd like, you can take a private class for $100 more. And if you want extra practice, Larry will let you come in and use the pool when there aren't any classes.

Yes the store is expanding, but you still get more personal service than at Dive West. We shopped there once and they couldn't even find two fins in the same style and size. Not to mention the prices are much more expensive. Larry has the best deals in town.

We're recommending Scubatoys to all of our friends for classes and gear.

Considering I have no idea where in Dallas (or the Dallas area) you are located...

and trying to fit your request for Scuba Pro...

Oceans Window in Plano. I recommend Charles Voit.

I have not had good experiences with service from Dive West. I have not done any training or bought anything from them.

I like Blue Dolphin in Frisco. Mike is good folk. He does not carry Scuba Pro.

I have very little experience with shops in Dallas.

There is an instructor at Scuba Toys I like. He goes by the nick name of Woody. He looks like a pudgy Woody Harrellson. Don't know his real name.

Zag... shoot me a PM and I'll facilitate you getting together with Ron.

My DM instructor...Ron Carlo. He works out of Athens the most. He teaches PADI and SDI. He is namely independent. I can facilitate you getting with him for a class.

Yall be patient with me please... Grad school and work is kicking my tail right now.

TwoBit

I'll just figure you don't care about the drive. Tuckers Dive shop in Grand Prairie is a ScubaPro / Zeagle dealership. I took my AOW and Nitrox classes there and can definitely recommend them. Bruce does cave certs as well. Both he & Lori are good folks that know there stuff and are good at teaching it. They're PADI & TDI instructors.

ScubaToys is also a good shop. I did my Rescue cert with them. Woody DM'd that class and Steve Kay was the instructor. Both great guys. Larry and Joe , the owners, are also great. They are NAUI & NASE instructors.

I'd trust them both with training my wife.

ScubaToys Tuckers Dive Shop

FWIW, my wife got certified through Ocean's Window recently, and honestly, I won't step foot in the place again. If you'd like more detail, feel free to PM me. OTOH, I have been very impressed in my dealings with ScubaToys, and am contemplating doing my Rescue Diver through them soon.

My wife and I have had the exact opposite experience with Ocean's Window. They have several instructors, so it's not totally surprising that there's a bad apple in the bunch. Ours were great, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom