Certification Problem-PADI hologram

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we weren't required to buy two books, just two pic cards which our instructor signed, we sent in with our pictures (no hologram? i never even saw a hologram???) and recieved our cert cards....

all4scuba05:
So if I live in Utah, and have 3 partners, and they're all men,
So your profile doesn't say you live in Utah:blinking:

undefined:
I think requiring couples to purchase two books is ridiculous and pure profiteering. We both read the book and watch whatever videos must be watched. We study together and have done so for years. (We've shared college textbooks, dive books, and all sorts of other educational material). With PADI books we both write our answers on a separate piece of paper and turn it in with the knowledge review pages torn out of the book.

Requiring that married couples buy two books is just plain money grubbing. If the shop wants more money I'd rather give it to them as a tip (or just buy more dives) than for a second book that will sit unused on our shelf for years.

More than likely, it will never be a problem unless both you and your spouse go to the same IDC, at the same time. It's the only time I have been told to show up with my books. Then again, you know Marko needs the money, the cost of living is high in Nashville.

I can understand IDC being different. We've already contacted the shop we plan to go through DMT at and they have clearly stated buy only one set of books for DMT (and everything else we want).

undefined:
Requiring that married couples buy two books is just plain money grubbing. If the shop wants more money I'd rather give it to them as a tip (or just buy more dives) than for a second book that will sit unused on our shelf for years.

It's not the shop or the instructor that's "money grubbing". They are the ones that are/are not upholding copyright laws and following operating procedures of a certifying agency.

Ann Marie:
It's not the shop or the instructor that's "money grubbing". They are the ones that are/are not upholding copyright laws and following operating procedures of a certifying agency.

I would be very interested to know where the requirement for each student to purchase a separate copy of the training materials shows up in the PADI GS&P. The closest reference is question 12 of the FAQ that states that copies may not be made of the Knowledge Reviews - it says nothing of students sharing materials that I can find.

undefined:
I would be very interested to know where the requirement for each student to purchase a separate copy of the training materials shows up in the PADI GS&P. The closest reference is question 12 of the FAQ that states that copies may not be made of the Knowledge Reviews - it says nothing of students sharing materials that I can find.

PADI Training bulletin 4th Quarter 2005 also referenced in 1st Quarter 2006. The new standard became effective January 1, 2006.

I stand humble and corrected. My old copy (2004) of the Instructor materials does not mention this.

My apologies for my mistake.

Now I shall take my wrath out on PADI :)

Families can still buy the multimedia and have up to 5 registered users. Why shouldn't PADI make a profit on something that they made and update? They sited that dive shops were loaning students books. Who knows if the books were outdated or had missing information. Why not keep the book for future reference?

I have a huge diving library. Not because PADI says I have to but because it makes me a better diver. It always makes me wonder when someone wants to cut corners on something like a $35 book, what else will they cut corners on.

I'm currently taking a marine biology class (for fun). The textbook was $118. Last class, the instructor said that she wasn't using the book much because it isn't going as indepth as much as she'd like, but it has "pretty pictures." Now that's a waste... At least you got to use your book... If she didn't like the book and wasn't going to use it often, why not make the required book something that we'd use.

Ann Marie:

Well, it also comes down to any mark-up that the instructor or shop places on the required books.

Back
Top Bottom