Certification is costly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If my cheap ass can find a way to scuba, anybody can find a way to scuba.

Agree that diving is cheap compared to other hobbies. Warm vs. cold I don't know. Yes more equipment for cold, but not necessarily more training-- if you dive locally--shore dives, not deep, no wreck penetration, etc.
Cold, in my limited to the UK experience, frequently means poor visibility, lots of wrecks, rougher seas, etc. Whilst there is some diving suitable for OW divers to 18m/60ft, most diving requires AOW for the additional depth and drysuit. Rescue is good to get your thoughts directed to others around you and skills to help keep you out of trouble.

In a word, self-reliance.

Cold, in my limited to the UK experience, frequently means poor visibility, lots of wrecks, rougher seas, etc. Whilst there is some diving suitable for OW divers to 18m/60ft, most diving requires AOW for the additional depth and drysuit. Rescue is good to get your thoughts directed to others around you and skills to help keep you out of trouble.

In a word, self-reliance.
Agree. But as I suggested, cost all depends on what type of diving you do. Our situation here is similar to yours, but there are a number of charter dives to less than 18m, and loads of shallow shore diving. Many don't need AOW or much else. Rescue is advised by just about all on SB regardless of type of diving you do. Just pointing out that cold water diving doesn't HAVE to be much more (if any more) expensive than warm water. Plus you'll usually own everything, which is a one time expense (until it wears out) as opposed to renting something on every tropical trip. I dive almost exclusively in Nova Scotia and will bet that my expenses are lower than the average someone who often travels to warm water to dive. Of course, I'm of Scottish descent.....

There is an economical motorcycle competition.
Local SCUBA can be an economical hobby, once the up front costs are accounted for. The local lake I have been known to get a year pass. Shore dive for a whole year. Gasoline costs are the greatest, but it would be the same if I went hiking the trails at the lake. If I took out a kayak on the lake it would cost more as there is a surcharge for watercraft.
I used to ride trials when I lived out in Phoenix. You remember Spanky from Helmet Harbor?

I used to ride trials when I lived out in Phoenix. You remember Spanky from Helmet Harbor?
I knew of Helmet Harbor, only used them for street helmets (I have given up on street riding)
Carlton is still around, Hard Rock Trials supply has changed to Dirt Riders West.
Still have many of the areas you probably knew of, Alto Pit, Oak Flats, couple places up in Kingman, new place south of Tucson. I can't have normal hobbies, keep getting the "technical" ones.

I am in my 20’s and am at the full cave and entry trimix level. I save up all winter to afford the gas, gear, and boat charters through the Great Lakes diving season. I saved up money and sold gear I no longer needed over the last two months just to send my drysuit in for repairs and alterations. If I can make it happen on my meager annual income, I think most can learn how to figure it out if they want it bad enough.

I am in my 20’s and am at the full cave and entry trimix level. I save up all winter to afford the gas, gear, and boat charters through the Great Lakes diving season. I saved up money and sold gear I no longer needed over the last two months just to send my drysuit in for repairs and alterations. If I can make it happen on my meager annual income, I think most can learn how to figure it out if they want it bad enough.

Bingo! I also sell gear I no longer need. A lot of it is not having a lot of space, but why not get the cash for something you’re no longer using?

Recreational diving for many of us who don't live near desirable oceanic diving (e.g.: mainly southeastern Florida and coastal California has good diving if you're open to colder water and more exposure protection) - speaking from a U.S. perspective with a strong preference for ocean diving - entails fairly expensive travel (e.g.: airfare, hotel, boat trips).

Hey New England has some good ocean diving as well. I has a great dive today. And a lot of it is shore with no parking fees, load car and go.

Bingo! I also sell gear I no longer need. A lot of it is not having a lot of space, but why not get the cash for something you’re no longer using?
I'm learning. I started liquidating stuff from the garage yesterday. Suprisingly, it all sold within hours of listing it. I may start selling some more.

Well...I went cheap. It was $200 for the initial in pool/classroom instruction. Wasn't required to buy any equipment. Also watched a couple bootleg PADI videos. I did my OW cert dives while on a cruise in the caribean which I was doing anyway. 4 dives over 2 days, maybe $300. Didn't buy any equipment and still haven't. I only dive while on cruises using rental equipment. I've so far resisted getting into it whole hog since I only do warm water dives a couple times a year. To me it's not a life style just a way to dive while on a cruise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom