Certification is costly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s certainly not a cheap hobby, but some of the expenses seem out of line for initial certification.

When I was first certified, the only gear I needed to supply was mask, fins, snorkel, and weight belt. That was pre weight integrated BCs being the norm. Tanks, regulator, BC, and wetsuit were supplied by the shop, and included in the costs for the course. I could see that being extra if course is Not conducted by a shop.

When my kids got certified, the gear needed was the same, with the exception of the weight belt.

Requiring the student to buy their own full gear just seems unusual to me. Perhaps that’s the norm in your location, but I doubt it.

Requiring the student to buy their own full gear just seems unusual to me. Perhaps that’s the norm in your location, but I doubt it.
I was assuming he just chose to buy his own gear. He said as much with regards to the dry suit. All the shops in our area have free rental gear during OW courses, but some folks still choose to buy those "full kits" before they even start the class. I've seen people do just that while standing in Mac's more than once.

Not true....it may be good enough for some half-a$$ed instructors, however,,,,
Ok, ok....but good enough for ~ 90% of the instructors out there:). Not all the silly skills in class need to be perfected. How many people honestly go on to use "navigation" on their 100'+ viz ocean dives while following a guide?

That's an issue that has been rehashed over and over. I have to agree, since agencies don't do proper oversight of their agents there are some poor instructors in the world.

Some agencies are a little better than others about dealing with complaints. However, relying on a reactive complaint system is the big problem in my opinion.

It has been rehashed, but I think for "most" people just get the card and practice when / where they can. Most people don't need to be 100% grade A militant divers fresh out of OW. They just need a license to go practice. Hell most of them will maybe dive 5 times a year. Every dive will be all brand new again.

I'm not sure that "poor instruction" really matters... if they want more out of diving they'll search for it.

Musings on the per-dive cost...

Marginal costs:

Mine are primarily boat dives:
  • Boat space £60/€70/$80 for the space
  • Diesel for the drive: £20/€25/$30
  • Gas, one of:
    • Gas (assuming OC nitrox single): £10/€12/$15
    • Gas (assuming OC nitrox twinset): £20/€25/$30
    • Gas (assuming OC nitrox twinset + some deco gas): £30/€35/$40
    • Gas (assuming OC helitrox twinset + some deco gas): £100/€120/$140
    • Gas (rebreather gas + sorb): £20/€25/$30 (almost same cost for any depth)
  • Total (OC no deco or rebreather ~any depth): £100/€120/$140
Quarries in the UK are now circa £20/€25/$30 for entry, some a few quid more, some less.

I'll be out for the whole day.

Going out on a RIB with a PADI club (e.g. NDL single tank dive), then the boat costs would be a bit lower: £40/€50/$60

Fixed/sunk costs:

Cost of kit:
  • Newbie costs (cheap drysuit, single tank, low-end computer, cheap regs, etc.):
    • new costs circa £2k/€2.5k/$3k
    • Being very frugal, second hand kit, club kit: literally nothing, but the rental costs would be added to the dive cost. circa £20/€25/$30
  • NDL recreational cold-water diver (collected some kit, better computer, SMBs, plus medium quality drysuit at £1k/€1k2/$1k4, etc.)
    • circa £3k/€3k6/$4k2
  • Personally must have spent >£20k/€25k/$30k on kit at least as a certifiable dive addict!
    • Rebreather, several reg sets, several computers, 20+ cylinders, sidemount + backmount kit, drysuits, expensive torches, SMBs, reels & spools, DPV, camera, miscellaneous other stuff... Scary!
Training costs:
  • Beginner needs just OW + early specialities (e.g. drysuit for cold water) =
  • circa £300/€350/$400
  • NDL diving needs OW + AOW + couple or three specialities (drysuit, deep, PPB?)
    • circa £1k/€1k2/$1k4
  • Helitrox: OW + AOW + RD (rescue) + ANDP+H
    • circa £2k/€2.5k/$3k, probably a tad more
  • MOD2 rebreather: OW + AOW + RD (rescue) + ANDP+H + Normoxic + MOD1 + MOD2
    • circa £4k/€5k/$6k, probably more

If you only dive where you can drive, it’s quite affordable. Load your vehicle and go!

I'm not sure where you're diving, but I've paid more in ongoing expenses than I've paid in training and equipment, and I just "drive and dive".

I've trained up through Divemaster, Trimix, and plenty of specialties, so I've done a lot of training. I also own all my own equipment including two drysuits, numerous tanks, regs, BP/Ws, wetsuits, etc, etc, etc.

Even with that, the cost of (1) charters or site entry fees, (2) breathing gas, (3) equipment maintenance, (4) travel (fuel, hotels) has easily surpassed what I've paid in equipment and training.

People need to understand that scuba IS NOT an affordable hobby. If that concerns you, take up something else.

I'm not sure where you're diving, but I've paid more in ongoing expenses that I've paid in training and equipment, and I just "drive and dive".

I've trained up through Divemaster, Trimix, and plenty of specialties, so I've done a lot of training. I also own all my own equipment include two drysuits, numerous tanks, regs, BP/Ws, etc, etc, etc.

Even with that, the cost of (1) charters or site entry fees, (2) breathing gas, (3) equipment maintenance, (4) travel (fuel, hotels) has far surpassed what I've paid in equipment and training.

People need to understand that scuba IS NOT an affordable hobby. If that concerns you, take up something else.
On one hand you're right - if you really enjoy diving it can beclme a passion and we know how that goes.

On the other hand, it's quite possible to rent a complete gear package where i live for $40 a day and go dive off the beach for free. I have had plenty of great beach dives.

But if you love diving, you will eventually want to explore further (offshore, overseas, deeper etc) and then it becomes an extravagant hobby.

At least you don't own a horse. Those take money continuously, regardless if you use them or not. I know people who have those money pits.
One of my more economical hobbies (after initial purchase) is the motorcycle. But the medical bills do add up. The last one has had me off both the bike and diving for about 5 months now, with another 3-4 to go.

At least you don't own a horse. Those take money continuously, regardless if you use them or not. I know people who have those money pits.
One of my more economical hobbies (after initial purchase) is the motorcycle. But the medical bills do add up. The last one has had me off both the bike and diving for about 5 months now, with another 3-4 to go.
I raced motorcycles for 20 years. Started with dirt, went to road racing. It was a stupid expensive hobby that I enjoyed immensely. Spoken as someone who owns a shop and multiple dive boats, scuba is a cheap hobby in comparison.

If you're looking at diving in a benign, warm, clear, shallow location "follow-the-leader" style diving, then it's cheap. Do yer PADI, rent all the kit with the dive and off you go.

If you're doing anything outside of these idyllic conditions, be prepared to pay for more training -- and don't forget to factor in the practice time.

Once you're into cold water, poor visibility, deeper diving (e.g. 30m/100ft and deeper), tides, wrecks.... then you need to be far more self-reliant, so you must invest to get the return.

Diving is incredibly cheap compared with other hobbies and pastimes - sailing needs a boat and annual costs that would buy a rebreather every year!
Agree that diving is cheap compared to other hobbies. Warm vs. cold I don't know. Yes more equipment for cold, but not necessarily more training-- if you dive locally--shore dives, not deep, no wreck penetration, etc. But of course it could get very expensive. Warm water for folks like you and I means a trip and and that's not inexpensive. Perhaps charter dives, DM tips. And throw in always renting equipment (if you do that) --well, that can pile up too. So each person's preference and type of diving I think more determines the costs.

I raced motorcycles for 20 years. Started with dirt, went to road racing. It was a stupid expensive hobby that I enjoyed immensely. Spoken as someone who owns a shop and multiple dive boats, scuba is a cheap hobby in comparison.
There is an economical motorcycle competition.
Local SCUBA can be an economical hobby, once the up front costs are accounted for. The local lake I have been known to get a year pass. Shore dive for a whole year. Gasoline costs are the greatest, but it would be the same if I went hiking the trails at the lake. If I took out a kayak on the lake it would cost more as there is a surcharge for watercraft.

Back
Top Bottom