Certification here I come!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pro99line

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well I finished my first class today. We jut learned the basic mask clearing, mask removal and replacement, and regulator removal and replacement. We learned how to assemble the equipment.

I have my second class Tuesday night from 6-10. We will go to the deep end this time and do all the same things we learned in lesson one but he said we also have to learn how to remove and replace our BC while under water. Any tricks you guys can tell me to making this a little easier because I am sure iw will be challenging. Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about tricks just yet. I would worry about doing it properly. Pay attention when they explain how to do it the first time around. Be patient with your gear and focus when you are doing it. Becoming frustrated and upset throws the whole process off and may make you anxious for the rest of the course. They certify hundreds of idiots with each class PADI or SSI holds, so I'm sure if you pay attention and follow the steps with confidence, you'll be fine. Best of luck!

Congrats on your first class! I finished the confined water portion of the OW in Feb., and am just waiting on April to do the OW dives.
On the BC removal, I would listen to some of the more experienced divers here that I am sure will post soon. The only advice that I could give is just to remain calm, and listen and watch what they show you. Study the manual until you have it down tight. Granted, you won't have the practical experience, but knowing what you need to do and when will take a lot of the nervousness away.
I am pretty new to this, but hope that it helps.

Dark Wolf

Pay attention to where all your buckles and straps are beforehand and move slowly. The rig will be neutral but has momentum once it's moving. Don't rip the second stage out of your mouth. :11:

Pete

Good luck. The degree of difficulty in removing and replacing the BC underwater can vary depending on whether you have a 'weight integrated' bc and whether you have a wetsuit on. If all the weight is on the bc, and you are wearing a wetsuit, you will immediately become very positively buoyant as you remove the bc and will find yourself vertically inverted with your fins poinitng up and your head pointing down as you hold onto the bc lying on the bottom of the pool. That's ok as long as you are prepared for it...exhale to reduce your buoyancy (never hold your breath though), slip one arm back through the bc and let it pull you on your back, where you can relax and slip the other arm in. If you are wearing only a swimsuit and have a weight belt, removing the bc and replacing it are much easier since the buoyancy shift is not so extreme. Trust me, if I could do it, anyone can.

To add another perspective...

Of all the things that new divers report problems with in the forum the BC R&R is hardly even on the radar screen.

Relax, take your time and you should be fine.

As long as you have air to breathe anything else is just an inconvenience.

Pete

Here's what worked for me; About 2 seconds after my instructor started explaining the BC drill, I began feeling for and memorizing the locations of every buckle, quickrelease, D-ring, and velcro strap on my BC. It made it very easy for me, especially doing the doff and don on the surface as I knew just by feel where everything was supposed to be.

You won't have any problem doing it on the bottom of the pool. On the surface is where it can be frustrating if you don't know your BC.

Relax, take it slow and have fun!

If you are wearing a wetsuit and it is weight Integrated don't let go! Otherwise keep the reg in your mouth, breathe normally and you will be fine. Enjoy the rest of your class!

We are not using weight integrated. We are using weight belts so from what you guys have said that will be a plus for this. The instructor told us to just stay calm and go slow. We will also be training on removing the mask and regulator and having to replace both of them.

I learned today also that for the regular OW we are doing 24 hours of pool sessions before the checkout dives.

24 hours is out standing! May students are lucky to get 1/3 of that Be at ease, if you were OK in the first class as you describe you can look forward to a professional progression.

Too often we hear the stories of students having a hard time in accelerated classes. If things go well as I suspect they will I hope you will repost to celebrate you learning experience.

Have fun,
Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom