Certification for diving the Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just an FYI, the YMCA SCUBA diver card certified you to 100 ft out of the OW class.
Interesting and thanks for the comment. There is certainly no indication of a100’ rating on the card. That I have no recollection of a depth rating stated during a course taken 36 years ago is not at all surprising.

I enjoyed pre-joy during the time leading up to the refresher course scheduled for today a 0900. Set the alarm on Saturday night, got up eager to go, drove to SJSU (indoor pool there used for class), parked the car and paid the parking fee, and ambled to the pool only to find the class had been cancelled/postponed. What a disappointment. Back to pre-joy.

I enjoyed pre-joy during the time leading up to the refresher course scheduled for today a 0900. Set the alarm on Saturday night, got up eager to go, drove to SJSU (indoor pool there used for class), parked the car and paid the parking fee, and ambled to the pool only to find the class had been cancelled/postponed. What a disappointment. Back to pre-joy.

I still say SB needs a "Don't Like" button. Bummer. I'd be letting them know how I feel about that.

Yeah, the shop kinda blew it on this one.

I was promised a call some time tomorrow...

I won't be holding my breath (sorry for the bad joke).

I won't be holding my breath (sorry for the bad joke).

We had a PADI Regional Manager who used to say: "Diving is easy. Don't hold your breath, don't stay down too long, don't come up too fast, have a good time." Then he'd explain further: "OW is where you learn not to hold your breath. AOW is where you learn to do some cool things while not holding your breath. RESCUE is where you learn what to do if someone holds their breath."

I have yet to run into anything remotely like “Dive Police”. You’re supposed to bring a dive float on shore dives, which I do on the dives in or near harbors/boat ramps. Many divers don’t. One of the best shore dives, dog beach, is just outside the harbor at Honokohau, and boats are a real hazard. You do NOT want to pop up in the boat channel. Boats a real danger but great spot, ironically. That’s a dive where a surface swim is not a good ending to a dive. You want to get back close to entry cove.

I dive about twice a week, usually Puako lately. I often have places to myself. There is a DNLR ( dept of nat’l resources?) but I haven’t seen much of them. Nobody really messes with me. I’m respectful and pretty low profile. Locals have always been helpful actually. BTW, hard-soled booties/gloves a good idea. Not many soft sand easy calm entry places and lava and coral can be nasty. Sea urchins aren’t fun either. Some spots much more feasible at high tide on calm days. Emphasis on calm. Good to snorkel a place first to scout it. I use swellwatch wetsand surfing predictor to guesstimate swell and watch ocean for 15 minutes prior to dive. Hawaii tends to have ‘sneak’ waves so don’t let your guard down. I ‘cancel’ fairly often as I solo dive and live on island so can be choosy.

I would second Manta Dive suggestion and also add pelagic dive as unique and must-do. I like Kona Honu divers for boat diving. There are great dive spots that only a boat makes accessible. If surf is up you ought to avoid most shore dives and fork over $ for boat dives imho.

(Having poked around the internet some, I'm thinking about doing some shore dives on The Big Island. I gather from your post that divers may be subject to inspection by an authority of some sort or another? Dive police?)

Having poked around the internet some, I'm thinking about doing some shore dives on The Big Island. I gather from your post that divers may be subject to inspection by an authority of some sort or another? Dive police?
There is no such thing as dive police, but cops checked me couple times for dive flag law compliance.

Back
Top Bottom