Certification Agency Poll

What is your Certifying Agency (Check all that apply)

• PADI

Votes: 462 65.3%
  • NAUI

Votes: 153 21.6%
  • SSI

Votes: 150 21.2%
  • YMCA

Votes: 32 4.5%
  • GUE

Votes: 17 2.4%
  • TDI

Votes: 79 11.2%
  • CMAS

Votes: 21 3.0%
  • IANTD

Votes: 69 9.7%
  • ANDI

Votes: 11 1.6%
  • BSAC

Votes: 19 2.7%
  • PDIC

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • NASE

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • IDEA

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • NSS-CDS

Votes: 14 2.0%
  • NACD

Votes: 11 1.6%
  • SDI

Votes: 21 3.0%
  • MDEA

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • SAA

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • ACUC

Votes: 10 1.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am currently with PADI, but am planning on doing dual cert with NAUI also.

missed it when i went through the list quickly, so I didn't check off my one GUE class that I took, and i'm kinda bummed that I can't go back and give it a mention on the poll (it's got 0) because my GUE class was the best diving class I've ever taken. I think that GUE is right on and their instructors are really the best (you have to go through an intructor internship program with another GUE instructor for quite some time to become one) I can understand why they have 0 votes though :( , they don't do OW certifications (yet!) but, hopefully, more people will start taking their Tech and Cave courses and EVERYONE should take the fundementals class (Even you 20+ year instructors) Almost everyone I know who has taken it agree's that it's the best they have ever taken...

http://www.gue.com/

EDIT: not 0 any more! :D

my OW cert is with PADI but I am doing specialties and AOW with SDI Witch isn't on the list

Originally posted by MnLakeDiver
my OW cert is with PADI but I am doing specialties and AOW with SDI Witch isn't on the list

MnLakeDiver.....I added SDI and counted you.

Both OW and AOW for now. I will pursue my Nitrox, Rescue and hopefully DM with PADI.

I have had only good experiences with my LDS and the instructors that taught my classes and therefore will continue to patronize their establishment.

If I get "junk mail" I don't even open it up. It goes straight in the trash bin. Life's too short to be bothered my trivial things.

Originally posted by DiverG
Just curious. Does anyone know if the current poll numbers happen to match market share for the agencies?

The only stats I have seen are PADI's claim to 70% USA, and 55% worldwide certifications. I would assume these percentages are for initial (OW) certification. If this is the case, this poll can't be compared because respondents are allowed multiple entries. A person may have an OW cert with PADI, but one or more certs with other agencies.

I have dual OW Cert's with SSI and PDIC.

I plan to have YMCA Wreck Cert this summer from Walter, but didn't think it fair to count it yet.

Scuba-sass :)

OK - I didn't expect I'd be the only one, but my cert agency is A.C.U.C. - American-Canadian Underwater Certifications. I believe when it was originally formed it stood for Association of Canadian Underwater Council. I thought it was pretty well known, but apparently not?

Started out with NAUI 'Basic Scuba' certification in March '74.

Moved on to '04 Advanced Scuba Diver' YMCA certification in June that year.

And, in October '74 became certified as a PADI 'Senior Advanced' diver.

The requirements for 'Senior Advanced' back then were essentially the same as today's 'Rescue Diver' certification, with a lot of today's Divermaster physiology and physics thrown in.

I got the PADI certification because I was refused air on a Bahamas trip. No one at the dive shop knew what "YIM-ka" (YMCA) was. The YMCA cert card then was little more than a typewritten piece of paper! It was sorted out eventually and my tanks were filled. However, to avoid future problems, I figured I'd better get a card from an agency that was better known throughout the Bahamas and Caribbean.

Obviously, that's not the case today. From what I've seen, all certs seem to get equal recognition from the dive shops an resorts.

Warren

I was PADI certified through Rescue.

Based on the listed requirements on the "hot" article comparing agencies, it is obvious to me that my instructors went way beyond the minimal requirements listed for PADI.

In the end, it is my humble opinion that great instructors and practice make a better diver. However, I'm appalled at what some are suggesting have been lacking in the current classrooms.

I took the class about 10 years ago and swimming (real swimming), treading water (not floating), and use of tables were absolutely required elements of the class.

I don't necessarily believe PADI is the best agency (in fact I'm thinking the opposite these days) but I believe they taught the correct elements of the course at the time I took their classes.

Back
Top Bottom