Certification Agency Missing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia:
Okay, if you're aware of it and don't want it there, that's fine. I'm curious who it is (other than ScubaBoard) that doesn't recognise them though. Is there some industry based coalition that lists it's own members and doesn't include non-commercial agencies, a list published in Rodales, or what?

Actually, my yardstick is Agencies that are a member of the (World) Recreational Scuba Training Council aka RSTC.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but when I checked their website (http://www.wrstc.com/main.php) I didn't find NOAA listed as a member.

BTW, you might want to tone done the hostility. You'll find the discussion will go a lot smoother that way.

MSilvia:
I'm not sure what you mean by "true", but I have a NOAA certification and I'm not (and never have been) a NOAA employee. Getting it was a prerequisite for me to join them for dive missions as a volunteer.

doh! be careful how you ask your question!

NOAA is not a recreational diving agency (i.e. they don't certify recreational divers)

howver, NOAA is certainly a certifying agency, but they only certify NOAA divers or NOAA volunteer divers to work with NOAA. thus, they ARE a cerfifying agency. as far as i know, NOAA is an excellent agency, and i use their manual (NOAA Diving Manual, 4th Ed.) as a reference tool all the time.

btw, your NOAA cert sounds like an interesting certification. what did it consist of? i bet it had a bunch of work dive procedures.

SubMariner:
Actually, my yardstick is Agencies that are a member of the (World) Recreational Scuba Training Council aka RSTC.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but when I checked their website (http://www.wrstc.com/main.php) I didn't find NOAA listed as a member.

BTW, you might want to tone done the hostility. You'll find the discussion will go a lot smoother that way.

Well, if you're using RSTC which is really a big Joke... take Naui US off - since Naui refused accept the 10 year old certification and required standards degredation in order to make it where 10 year olds could pass the academic and water work.

So I guess Naui is no longer an accepted agency if they're not in RSTC??

MSilvia:
In the dive history part of the User CP, NOAA is missing from the list of certification agencies.

What is more surprising for me is the absence of CMAS from the list (www.cmas2000.org), having done all my recreational training through them.

Actually, the idea of lumping NOAA, similar agencies in other countries and military certs into "Government/Military" is an excellent idea.

BTW, NAUI didn't refuse to join thr RSTC because of a disagreement over certifying 10 year olds. Not all of the members of RSTC have adopted low enough standards that allow the certification of babies. A few have, but not all. The RSTC does not write standards for their member agencies, the members all write their own standards. Those standards vary greatly.

To be clear there is no magical rule for what agency is to be included and which is not. As a general guideline I would like to see this list include most of the recreational names but certainly there may be others who belong here simply because people have been certified by them in one way or another. Please feel free to discuss the agencies as you please, just keep in mind that I will be sifting through it all to try and find names to add.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom