Suggestion Censoring the Censorship Comaplaint?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
TheRedHead

TheRedHead

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was reading that thread and it disappeared while I was reading. Seems that we have a lot of disappearing threads around here...

pilot fish:
I might feel a bit differently about your rules if it was more even-handed.
Yes. In my opinion we Mods made a big mistake. We let that thread - and those who could not use their self control to remain civil -go on way too long. Sometimes we moderate so moderately that when we do take action, the trouble makers are all caught by surprise. Maybe a stronger hand is in order. But with the quality and caring moderators this board has, I believe you will continue to see us error on the side of moderation.

pilot fish:
It seems you're correct.
If you had read my post you may have noticed that I was joking and had mentioned that perviously I have had a couple of my posts removed. I understand why they were removed and didn't start up a series of threads whining about their removal.

The Kraken:
I'd like to remind EVERYONE that the ScubaBoard.com website is a PRIVATELY OWNED site and we are all permitted to participate on this board by the INVITATION of the owner.

Being a privately held site gives the owner sole intellectual rights to determine what he finds acceptable and unacceptable to be posted to the board. With that goes the right to "uninvite" any member or members.

It's about private ownership.

Keep in mind, folks, this is a private site, and even though the 1st Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America does not apply here in its full force, the owner dilligently tries to provide a forum where topics about scuba diving can be discussed in an intelligent, mature and civil manner.

the K

Obviously the 1st Amendment doesn't apply in the White House either...but, again, what you are suggesting here is that people vote with their feet, and leave, and leave all the people that all think the same way together to flounder in their same-ness...

Rick Inman:
Yes. In my opinion we Mods made a big mistake. We let that thread - and those who could not use their self control to remain civil -go on way too long. Sometimes we moderate so moderately that when we do take action, the trouble makers are all caught by surprise. Maybe a stronger hand is in order. But with the quality and caring moderators this board has, I believe you will continue to see us error on the side of moderation.

I agree with this, and yes, being a moderator is thankless and puts you in a no-win much of the time. Having been involved in some fisticuffs (hahaa) in the past, I can say that its easier to get sucked intoi an argument on the internet that I would just waive away in real life (why is that?)... I see both sides to the srgument. My question (in the other thread) was simple: what TOS was violated by asking whether a Clean and Sobe forum wasa good idea, or whether other members would like to see it added? I just don't get it...

gratefuljames:
Obviously the 1st Amendment

please study the Constitution before you bandy it about. the 1st amendment
applies only to what the Government can and can not do to you as a private
citizen.

it doesn't apply to the interaction of private citizens. you have no first amendment
rights in my house. i do'nt like what you say, i don't have to hear it.

as for ScubaBoard, it's the same old same old... some people get moderated
and can't handle it and start screaming foul

i've been moderated (i.e. i've had my threads and posts pulled) and i don't particularly
like it, but those are the rules of the game and that's that

my goal is to have fun and learn about diving, not to misguidedly apply
constitutional principles where they just don't belong

look, it's a moderated forum. by participating, you're giving someone
the ability to moderate you. you may not like the results, but that's just
what a moderated forum is.

H2Andy:
citizen.

And even that is subject to some workarounds by the owner.:10:

oy vey... don't get me started on what has happened to our constitutional rights
over time

:wink:

Congress "shall make no law" apparently means "can sometimes make law so long
as it feels like it"

H2Andy:
citizen.

it doesn't apply to the interaction of private citizens. you have no first amendment
rights in my house. i do'nt like what you say, i don't have to hear it.

as for ScubaBoard, it's the same old same old... some people get moderated
and can't handle it and start screaming foul

i've been moderated (i.e. i've had my threads and posts pulled) and i don't particularly
like it, but those are the rules of the game and that's that

my goal is to have fun and learn about diving, not to misguidedly apply
constitutional principles where they just don't belong

look, it's a moderated forum. by participating, you're giving someone
the ability to moderate you. you may not like the results, but that's just
what a moderated forum is.

Study the constitution? I graduated from Boston University Law School and studied Constitutional Law with Archibald Cox. If you read what I wrote, I was addressing (making a joke) what the other person wrote - another case of the mouth (fingers) running before the brain (apparently prevalent on this board)...

gratefuljames:
Obviously the 1st Amendment doesn't apply in the White House either...

this appeared to me to be a sardonic statement, relating back to the statement
to the effect that the first amendment does not apply to ScubaBoard.

i thus interpreted as you mocking that statement, and by implication, arguing that
the first amendment does apply on ScubaBoard

you could have been clearer in your response, and i would have been more
accurate in mine

gratefuljames:
another case of the mouth (fingers) running before the brain (apparently prevalent on this board)...

that, my fine jurist, is an ad hominem attack, and not worthy of someone
who has studied with Archibald Cox

Gentle people,

This board was created to fill a need: to be able to freely exchange ideas.

Unfortunately, some people see this as a place to harrass, to flame and perchance to bully. Some see it as a place to offend with racial remarks, or perhaps with sexual innuendo. Not on our watch. Your moderators are committed to removing any obstacle that hinders people from posting and having fun.

Funny though, for the few that accuse us of downright censorship, we seem to allow your comments about how unfair we are. However, we won't allow you to hijack our community so you can abuse others.

Me? I think our moderators do a WONDERFUL job; every man, woman and Andy of them! But if you think they have stepped over the line, please feel free to PM me. I will either PM you back, or put something up in the forum. Don't worry, I won't identify you by name, but you will know where I stand on any subject.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom