Cenote Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess my question is really this…while diving Ponderosa and one needed to surface, is there an air space between the cavern roof and the water surface?
No there is an overhead between Ponderosa and Eden, there is ambient light in that tunnel which is why its a cavern not a cave. You can surface in Eden and can surface in Ponderosa - between the two the ceiling is rock.

I guess my question is really this…while diving Ponderosa and one needed to surface, is there an air space between the cavern roof and the water surface?
By definition, there is no generally air space above the water in a cavern. There may well be pockets of air in places. Many caverns do have places near their beginnings with places like that, and they can be quite extensive, but you are technically not in the cavern then.

We've used Voytek several times now with MexicoScubaTime
He is my absolute favorite dive guide and instructor. He is located in PDC and specializes in cenote/cave. We now only dive with him now when we go. We can go dive many places but we always says nah we miss our friend Voytek and let's go dive with him. We are going back to dive with him again in August. We were just there in March.

Be warned you will get bit by the cave bug! I did next thing I know I went from deep/aow to after 1st trip with voytek to the cenotes and caverns to now going sidemount and full cave. Next trip to see him I'm going to get cave cert.

Dos Ojos- is prob the most "wow" for a first time cenote
Eden/Ponderosa- cool relaxing dive
Tajmaha- beautiful structures
Car wash- very snorkle friendly open with TON of fish the scuba wasn't as fun in the cavern as the others though
Angelita- breath taking but a deep dive around 100'
El Pit- catch this in the summer and good light and don't think it can be beaten!! It is a deep dive also.

There are thousands of cenotes/caves in the akumal and PDC area within driving distance.

I know I can't wait to go back to the cave life haha reefs get boring!

We just did 2 dives in Dos Ojos last week. This was our first cavern/cenotaph dive. The caverns are beautiful with lots of fantastic rock formations. The diving was super easy. You follow the guide (and the yellow guide line) and that’s about it. Water is clean and clear. There is not much silt as you are mostly above rocks. Our guide was Carlos from CenoteXperience

The centote has large areas for snorkeling and there are plenty of shaded rest areas around it

Even if there is a cenote in Cozumel (and I don't know of one, either), you want to go to the mainland for an experience like that. I haven't done that sort of thing for a long time, but when I did, I took the morning ferry over and the mainland dive shop would have a ride waiting for me there.

You don't want to dive the cenotes on Coz. They are only for cave divers and are full of crocodiles.

El Pit and Angelita are like diving in a horror movie. So freaking AWESOME!!!!

Back
Top Bottom