Cenote Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe those divers thought the stalagtites were grab bars to help them move?

How about if you are just O/W certified? Are the Cenotes still recommended? I'd like to dive them this coming August but I'm not Cave certified.

TorontoDive:
How about if you are just O/W certified? Are the Cenotes still recommended? I'd like to dive them this coming August but I'm not Cave certified.
I did Dos Ojos a few months back as an OW diver. We were lead by a certified cave diver and plans were well laid out to dive safely. It was a very relaxed easy dive, can't wait to do them again.

spooky thread. People bouncing off cave walls and pulling themselves along with cave decorations...OW divers wanting to dive in caves and being told that it's ok if your led by a certified cave diver.

Only you can dive for you no matter who's with you.

Thanks for all the information.

Try Armando Elizalde of Scubacenote. Armando has been a local guide for many years and offers the best service at the best price. $85 for a double tank cenote dive, including lunch and all equipment. All shops do Hidden Worlds. It is beautiful! Contact Armando at scubacenote@hotmail.com or +52(984)131-2391. He speaks perfect english as well as a few other languages

Yucatek in PDC is very good. I went through Hidden Worlds several years ago. There are two (or three?) entrances to Dos Ojos. The one Hidden Worlds uses is a bit of a pain. Long trip on their "jungle buggy" to the entrance, then climb down a ladder into the Bat Cave. The other entrance, through the East Eye, is much more accomodating and scenic. Somebody posted pictures of it recently, search the board.

For MikeFerrara and others scared by OW divers in the "caves": Most of the centoes frequently dived in the Yucatan are actually considered caverns rather than caves. A subtle distinction, maybe, but different nonetheless. In a cavern environment, there is always visible light, hence an escape route should the dive turn pear-shaped.

The Mexican government requires that a centoe dive guide take no more than 4 divers. They must carry several light sources and dive doubles with redundant regulators. I believe they are also required to be cave certified and certified instructors. Thus, an OW diver is actually in a cavern on a training dive with a qualified instructor when in the cenotes.

My wife and I received an extensive pre-dive briefing that included much info on emergency procedures (using guide lines and ambiant light to find an exit, etc.) that was appropriate for the cavern environment. Our dive operator, Dennis of Diablo Divers, was the absolute best insturctor I have ever been with. If the other operators are even half as good as he, an OW diver will be in good hands in the cenotes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom