Cellphone signals on Socorro trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am off to Socorro on board the Rocio del Mar next month and am a bit worried because my 92 year old father-in-law is recovering from a recent stroke. My wife and I act as carers to my elderly in-laws and I would like to be able to keep in touch while I am away to give my wife moral support. Therefore, what are the chances of getting a mobile phone signal out on that trip to the Socorros?

Of course, I am aware that a Sat Phone will be available on the boat but that would be for an emergency only that I hope will not arise.

No cell that far out. When we did a different trip, We rented a Sat phone not cheap but wife thought it was worth it. I would e-mail and ask what the charge would be to make a call mid trip.

Will that phone call do either of you any good? If you're on a liveaboard to Socorros, you aren't going to get home, even if the worst happens. Even if you could go home, there isn't anything you can do that you can't do until after you get home anyway.

I was on a trip to the Socorro islands last year, although on a different boat (Nautilus Explorer). It was made clear that there would be no cellphone reception. Satellite phone was available, however, for a price, as was email messaging. The emails were sent and received once everyday, also through a satellite connection, via the boat company's account.

I remember being in Europe and getting horrible news from home. There was nothing we could do -- everything would have been over before we ever got back, no matter if we took off instantly. There is no more horrible feeling. I vote for no phone.

I did the Socorros on the Rocio and they have a Sat phone. $2 a min. The kicker was we have Verizon cell service and they charged $6 a minute to receive the call...What a scam. When on the Socorro trip, just disconnect and enjoy the trip. There isn't much you can do if something does happen...

Thanks for the information. I guess I'll have to use the sat-phone to speak to my wife. Maybe it is a cultural thing, but I cannot be that impersonal and just sit back and enjoy the trip if I am not able to contact home. My wife and I have always kept in touch if one of us is away through 37 years (this month) of marriage and I don't want to change that now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom