Cell phone coverage on dive boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluebanded goby

Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't been on a commercially run dive boat in So Calif in many moons, and am wondering what cell phone coverage is like out on the water these days. For example, en route between mainland and Catalina, is it usual to lose coverage mid-channel and then get it back closer to the island? Are there towers at Clemente? Anything at northern Channel Islands, or other islands such as SBI? Is it fairly provider-specific? (Mine is Verizon.)

I haven't been on a commercially run dive boat in So Calif in many moons, and am wondering what cell phone coverage is like out on the water these days. For example, en route between mainland and Catalina, is it usual to lose coverage mid-channel and then get it back closer to the island? Are there towers at Clemente? Anything at northern Channel Islands, or other islands such as SBI? Is it fairly provider-specific? (Mine is Verizon.)

I recall losing signal for a period of time between Long Beach and Channel but I can't remember how long. I don't recall losing signal between Long Beach and Catalina though. I have ATT.

At the northern Channel Islands I can sometimes get a very weak signal, enough to send a text. But most times I don't count on being able to get any signal. I have Verizon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom