CCR with automatic fail over

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Specific rebreather models range from fully manual to fully automatic. Likewise, pre dive setup and post dive teardown between the various models can be very different.

Spend time looking at the various manufacturers websites as well as reviewing the material on this website. With the number of dives shown in your profile, you likely do not have enough dive experience for anything other than a recreational rebreather.

I would recommend finding a try and dive event where various rebreather models are available to test in a pool. Rebreather instructors are normally certified to train on a small number of rebreathers so you have a choice -

1. Find a rebreather then find an instructor that trains on it, or
2. Find an instructor and purchase/train on a rebreather they sell. I'm sure a local instructor will allow you to test dive some units in a pool.

There are some rebreather specific websites to check out...
http://www.rebreatherworld.com
http://www.thedecostop.com
http://www.yorkshire-divers.com

I would spend the time lurking before posting as these tech forums have members who can and will eat you alive. Just to prep you, fully automatic does not equal better and the failure mode you describe is basically low PPO2 and is unlikely to occur as you would understand if you have had appropriate training and are diving with a rebreather with redundant O2 cells. My rebreather has 4 independent O2 cells.

Dwayne

Last edited:
So you want an automatic system to monitor your automatic systems? What will monitor that? Another system? Are they being made by different people?

Ultimately you have to be vigilant and look out for yourself. As others have said there are various models with various design philosophies out there. Personally I prefer relative simplicity. But that means different things for everyone.

The more things you add, the harder it will be figure out what is going wrong and understand all the failure modes. You will not be able to think laterally to solve complex problems when mildly hypoxic and stressed.

Find a copy of "CCR simplified" by Mel Clark. It is (to the best of my knowledge) the best and most up-to-date general rebreather knowledge book. It also has details on a variety of different models, going over pros and cons of the different styles. (eCCR, mCCR, hCCR, SCR, etc)

Also, if you can get to a rebreather try dive session, that will probably help you out.

I know Curt and Mel (The same Mel that wrote teh book) do them near Seattle sometimes. (Silent Scuba)

Hope this helps. Don't be to quick to jump on one unit or another - do your research first!

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom