CCR Cave?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Different instructors have different philosophies. The minimum agency standards, and what many teach, is pretty much an OC cave class where you happen to be wearing a rebreather. Personally, I think CCR cave should be about using the rebreather to extend range (otherwise what is the point), so a class will involve 3-4 hour+ dives and some problem solving a long way back in the cave. We provide CCR cylinders and sorb, so have a lot of rebreather divers diving out of our centre in Tulum and absolutely require a CCR Cave certification. Given the variable standard of training out there, I would be very uncomfortable with enabling a diver with Mod 1 and OC Cave to dive in the fragile and complex caves in Mexico.

I took cave crossover mainly as an opportunity to know Florida caves where I haven't been diving before and as a kind of "refresher" after 5 years of full cave cert and 100+ cave dives. Was really worth it! If you are able to cave dive then most likely you can figure out bailout requirements yourself as well. But it never harms to confirm your assumption with a CCR cave instructor as you may make a miscalculation only once.

I advise you contact selected instructors directly, they usualy don't post details about this specific course on their web.

A few of the MX shops won't fill your O2 or sell you sorb without a cave CCR card.

Are there any that will?

All the TDI course standards and procedures are available online.

Go to the 3rd page and read from where it says "Upgrade"

That's exactly what I was unable to find, thank you!
Any idea how that would impact someone that is TDI Full Cave and IANTD CCR? Does TDI recognize IANTD's cert?

Any idea how that would impact someone that is TDI Full Cave and IANTD CCR? Does TDI recognize IANTD's cert?

Yes. That's why the standards say "or equivalent" in the relevant spots.

Are there any that will?
I don't know. Honestly any place that "doesn't care" about you using a CCR hasn't seen the damage a poorly trained CCR diver can do. I don't want to patronize a shop which is that cavalier about conservation.

I don't know. Honestly any place that "doesn't care" about you using a CCR hasn't seen the damage a poorly trained CCR diver can do. I don't want to patronize a shop which is that cavalier about conservation.

I "love it" when the people that say "I don't need CCR cave" come into town and silt the crap out of Orange Grove by crashing into the clay with their poor buoyancy and skills.

By love it I really mean I hate it.

I "love it" when the people that say "I don't need CCR cave" come into town and silt the crap out of Orange Grove by crashing into the clay with their poor buoyancy and skills.

You mean that actually happens ;-)

Experienced that yesterday at orange grove oddly enough

The main purpose of the course is repeating some of the basic skills to get buoyancy down, and then calculating open circuit bailout.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom