CCR advice please Mk 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMANDIVER

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all, I am thinking about starting CCR training and looking at units(!) I wanted to ask this forum their views on the Poseidon Mk 6 from a technical diving perspective. I realise it was designed with the recreational market in mind, but it seem good to 60m with a battery upgrade. The reason I am looking at is that the unit price used and new looks very good value. I am struck by the number of other more expensive used units for sale, notably Revo and JJ and can only hazard a guess that is a result of folk being cash rich and time poor, and the optimistic intention of a lot of CCR dives hits the heady reality of life. For the outlay for a used Mk 6 I can afford to get it wrong but for the price of a JJ, I cannot. I would value the advice from anyone who has experience of this unit and its pros and cons particularly beyond recreational use. I am currently OC tmx and full cave certified and do about 50 or so technical dives a year on average. Many thanks.

The Poseidon MK6 is no longer available new which means support will likely soon (if it hasn't already) disappear.
The training you will receive from an instructor on a recreational unit will unlikely prepare a CCR newbie for the demands of technical diving. The cost of a rebreather (life support equipment) should have the least effect on which unit to purchase.
If you want to do tech diving buy a rebreather designed for tech diving.

I'll be excitedly reviewing posts here as well. Still a way off for me, but certainly on my mind. I'm beginning to do my homework.Thanks.

The Poseidon MK6 is no longer available new which means support will likely soon (if it hasn't already) disappear.
The training you will receive from an instructor on a recreational unit will unlikely prepare a CCR newbie for the demands of technical diving. The cost of a rebreather (life support equipment) should have the least effect on which unit to purchase.
If you want to do tech diving buy a rebreather designed for tech diving.

As far as support goes, nearly all the hardware parts of the 6 are the same as the 7, with the exception of the micro-controller in the head of the 7 being Bluetooth enabled.

The MK6 and the Se7en are treated as same type by most agencies so doing your course on a 6 will allow you to upgrade to a 7 without doing any more courses. The 6 can be taken to 100m with addition of MAV and larger counter lungs.Richard Pyle is using a 6 and a 7 for all his 100-140m dives routinely.

RAID currently has a training progression that will get you into 40m deco after around 30 hours on the unit and up to 65m hypoxic after around 80 hours on the unit.

The important thing about the Poseidon units is to remember that they represent a very different philosophy wrt the operation of the unit. If that philosophy appeals to you then there is no substitute, if not then there are many happy rEvo drivers and JJ drivers out there etc

Im not a fan of voting logic so for me the only eCCR that doesn't use it is the Poseidon so thats that for me. Also, the new solid state O2 sensors are very exciting to me and they will be geared to the Poseidon units long before they become available for anyone else.

I gather the OP is in Oman, if you find yourself in the UAE anytime let me know, will be more than happy to let you use one of my units in the pool and see what you think.

Hi all, I am thinking about starting CCR training and looking at units(!) I wanted to ask this forum their views on the Poseidon Mk 6 from a technical diving perspective. I realise it was designed with the recreational market in mind, but it seem good to 60m with a battery upgrade. The reason I am looking at is that the unit price used and new looks very good value. I am struck by the number of other more expensive used units for sale, notably Revo and JJ and can only hazard a guess that is a result of folk being cash rich and time poor, and the optimistic intention of a lot of CCR dives hits the heady reality of life. For the outlay for a used Mk 6 I can afford to get it wrong but for the price of a JJ, I cannot. I would value the advice from anyone who has experience of this unit and its pros and cons particularly beyond recreational use. I am currently OC tmx and full cave certified and do about 50 or so technical dives a year on average. Many thanks.

If you are interested in going deep with a Poseidon, why buy the old model? The VI requires an infrared port to make adjustments and read the dive log. That really old tech. The Se7en uses Bluetooth which is commonplace nowadays on laptops and computers.

Also the Se7en is drivable to hypoxic depths out of the box. You have to upgrade the VI and it is limited to only normoxic mixes. That limits you to a max depth of 60 m (200 ft).

Otherwise it's a solid unit. My dive buddy bought one new when they were still available and has had no problems with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom