Trip Report Caymans Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkaelin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Cayman Trip Report

Our trip this year consisted of two trips in one - 5 nights on Little Cayman and 5 nights on Grand Cayman.

JetBlue nonstop from JFK arrived on a Wed morning. GC airport quiet and empty at 10:30 AM. Took the Georgetown Yacht Club shuttle over for lunch. Thanks to all on SB for this great tip. Greeter at the airport called the shuttle, we were picked up around 11:15 AM, had a nice lunch and we were back at the airport in plenty of time for our 2:30 PM flight to LC

On LC, we were met at the small airport by staff from the Southern Cross Club. First time staying at the SCC and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, the diving, the meals and the serenity. Staff amazing all around. Food was excellent. Loved our unit with an outdoor private shower – never used the one inside. Beautiful full moon and saw the southern cross and milky way.

4 days of two tank am boat diving. The diving was very good, weather was great and seas calm. Vis was good out on the walls at depth, maybe 80’ to 100’ but less and varied in the shallows, maybe 60’-80’. Water temp consistently 86 except on the deepest part of our deep dives. Boat never crowded with 8 on our boat the first two days, 6 on our third, 12 on our 4th. I enjoyed our deep dives on the walls and swim throughs the most. Highlight dive was on the site Eagle Ray Round up where we saw turtles, a seahorse, eagle rays and a hammerhead. The eagle rays put on a ballet and the hammerhead made two passes while we were in the sand finishing our viewing of the eagle rays. An abundance of grouper and some of the biggest lobster I have ever seen. Saw a bridled burrfish (one on GC too).

I did not notice what others have said about the lack of fish, bleaching and disease. I did notice storm damage and it was pointed out that in some places and sites, the storms provided some benefit – some swim throughs that were just about closed in due to the tightness of space were cleaned out by the winter storms. In at least one, a swim through that they could barely squeeze through before the storm- had a 10’ opening in the shallows expanding to about 17’ on the wall at depth. You could see along the reef in some places where the sand was washed away exposing coral reef that had been covered up with sand.

Monday AM flight to GC and again the airport was empty and a breeze to get through. Quick car pickup at Avis and off to West Bay and Coconut Bay Condos. Dove Hepps Pipeline from CBCs and Turtle Reef for 5 days. Weather was fine, diving was good but vis was also down and varied. Saw the usual suspects and observed storm damage in the shallows and on the tops of the mini walls. Silversides in the ladder area at Turtle Reef were nice to see. Nat and crew were working on their shop and dive set up area at TR. Everything looked good but I did not see the gear drying racks I remember using but maybe they were on the list. Macabucu was great as usual.

Enjoyed being back in GC but lots of development since our last trip in 2018. We stayed up in West Bay the entire time. Heard a number of folks complaining about the development and the unusually hot May. The number of new large buildings going up everywhere including West Bay was disconcerting and disappointing. One large building up under construction right next to Turtle Reef and CBC. I didn’t even recognize Lighthouse point with the new buildings nearby.

Overall we had a great dive trip.
MICR1594 (2).jpg
MICR1658 (2).jpg
MICR1684 (2).jpg
MICR1864.jpghttps://youtu.be/YDaFULhiSq0?si=hH_4b4rdrpf2oUbN

Attachments

• MICR1646.jpg
    MICR1646.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 20
I love the hammerhead shot! Thanks for such a comprehensive report. I have been to GC and Brac, hoping to visit LC. I wonder if the storm damage referenced is from the same storm which hit Curacao when I was there in Feb. Good to read about your grouper sightings. It seems that I see less and less of them while diving in the Caribbean.

February was mentioned as the time of the storms.

Thanks for the report on SCC. I know there are quite a few here that like them and i have never heard a bad word about them, but trip reports have been fairly rare. Refresh my memory, had you previously been to LC staying at LCBR? If so, how would you compare the two? I have looked several times at SCC, but it always seemed to be a bit more expensive than LCBR, and with the dearth of trip reports, I never knew if the extra cost would be worth it.

I have been to LCBR twice. Part of the decision was based on 3 dives per day vs. the 2 dives per day at SCC. I wish they offered 4 dives per day at LCBR and CBBR like is available at Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers on Grand Cayman.

Edit, nice to hear about the afternoon, dusk dives at SCC. I could consider SCC on a return to Little Cayman

I haven’t stayed at lcbr so can’t give you a comparison.

It was worth it for us. Smaller with less guests a plus.

They do a single tank 2 pm or dusk dive if they get 4 divers and they went out almost every day for the extra dive.

Two am dives were fine with me. It was nice to relax in the pm. I also had unlimited shore diving the following part of the trip so I was not feeling the need to do more on lc.

You could see along the reef in some places where the sand was washed away exposing coral reef that had been covered up with sand.
Appreciate the report, and this bit. If someone didn't know the reef there had been sand-covered quite awhile, and it had that dead/damaged look, it might be easy for someone to assume it was SCTLD/Bleaching/Oceanic Acidification/Climate Change/Diver Pressure-related. Just guessing.

Not sure I would have picked up on that if not pointed out but once you were aware of it it was pretty easy to see. It looked like a lot of newly available reef area for life to take hold an hopefully flourish.

I haven’t stayed at lcbr so can’t give you a comparison.

It was worth it for us. Smaller with less guests a plus.

They do a single tank 2 pm or dusk dive if they get 4 divers and they went out almost every day for the extra dive.

Two am dives were fine with me. It was nice to relax in the pm. I also had unlimited shore diving the following part of the trip so I was not feeling the need to do more on lc.
Thanks! I often think that what time of year you go to LC influences people's opinions on the crowds. Going during high season, LCBR tends to act as the focal point for a lot of the island's social life, so the bar and dining room can seem quite crowded with a full resort, plus locals, plus visitors from the condos and other AirBnB type places.

We typically go during low season when everything else on the island is closed and there are very few locals on island. Since SCC is closed then, I have never had the chance to go down and take a good look around other than walking the beach in front. I know they tout how small the groups on their boats are relative to LCBR, but their boats are 6-10' shorter than the LCBR boats and don't have the upper level seating area, so I don't know that they are any less "crowded" in reality.

One of these days we will probably go give SCC a try just see what the difference is. Looks from the LCBR website like they have a pretty much completely new crew of DMs and captains since we were there in October 2022. Will be interesting to see how well Sharon has them trained by the time we get there in August.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom