caymans - cheap but nice lodgings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greenalien

Reaction score
I'm looking to diving the caymans in Dec. Anyone know of cheap but nice lodgings? My LDS recommended Fisheye for diving.

Also do you need a passport of can you get by with a cert. birth certificate and state ID? Thanks for any personal experiences.

"Cheap" and Grand Cayman don't really work well in the same sentance. For value I really like the Sunset House. I have stayed there several times and I think they have one of the best package rates around. You aren't stuck on 7mile beach, you can walk to town, they include breakfast and have one of the best shore diving sites on the island. The Seaview Hotel just down the street is also value priced, and has a great bar/restaurant.
I just prefer Sunset House. Good luck.

US, Canadian, and British citizens can enter Cayman without a passport. A government issued identification (such as a driver's license) and a certified copy of your birth certificate is required.

The birth certificate must be one issued by a government authortiy - not the certificates issued by hospitals with the cute newborn footprints! An official copy may have a raised seal, or some other means of authentication such as a notary signature.

Do the research and compare prices, I recently did this when someone suggested Sunset House, and it seemed it wasn't really cheaper than Cobalt coast (which IMHO is a nicer place to dive and stay.) Seaview does seem like it might be a good deal but I've never been there. Ditto for Cayman Diving Lodge and Spanish Bay which are are all inclusive and not real fancy, so they might work out to be good values. You might check out http://www.tripadvisor.com, this site is good for pretty complete lists and reviews of lodgings and has listings for all sorts of inns on GC, though some aren't on the water.

If you want to save money on Cayman, you may want to look at a condo or apartment type place where you can do a lot of meals in the room. (Condos aren't necessarily cheap either.) You can also eat out more cheaply by avoiding a lot of big restaurant meals and finding fast food, delis, pizza. Someplace like Chicken Chicken is close to fast food prices (for Cayman) and pretty good food. I once found a site that had a list of cheap eats on GC but I can't find it now, maybe you can find it if you look harder then I did.

Anybody know if Coconut Harbour still exists?

Unfortunately Coconut Harbor is no longer. Too bad as I used to love hanging out at the Blue Parrot.
Green Alien, if you are going to be diving with FishEye, then you might want to check into Wyndham's Sunshine Suites. Nice accommodations with kitchens and not too pricey. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, you can set up at package with room and diving with Fisheye. I think you can find this info on FishEye's web site.

Back
Top Bottom