Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They get shafted.

Which was my concern. They reopen in 2022, 2023, or whenever and none of the dive operators survive. Dive shops are often a labor of love, the land they occupying can be used for more profitable activities.

Getting closer....

Our trip ended up moving to a sister resort in Turks & Caicos, so hopefully other people will be able to do that same.

November 13th to the 20th

I’ll be there on Oct 2. Report to follow.
Old adage - one man's ceiling is another man's floor. I wonder which dive destinations may gain substantially from Cayman's shut down, not just in temporary redirected trips but increased awareness in the dive community. South Caicos, obviously, from another thread. Turks and Caicos (which generally means Provo. and West Caicos, from what I've seen) may get a boost. Anywhere else?

T&C has set records this year compared to pre-pandemic numbers. Supposedly a tourism minister said a big part of that was because Cayman is closed.

"Thanks to the Tourist Board’s strategic marketing and public relations plans, combined with its vigilant TCI Assured protocols, aggressive vaccine campaign, and pent-up travel demand, the destination reported one of its busiest summers to date in 2021, with an increase of over 18% in June, 19% in July, and 15% in August compared to pre-pandemic statistics in 2019."

Turks and Caicos (which generally means Provo. and West Caicos, from what I've seen) may get a boost. Anywhere else?

For USA-based divers, St Croix becomes far more attractive due to the fact that it's not an international flight and there is less testing required. They have seen a massive influx of divers this year, and for local reasons not related to COVID, can't get the staff to put on as many boats as they would like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom