Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would imagine that Florida was a recipient. I was there in June and, despite unusual conditions, operators were busy. I followed reservation calendars over the summer and they were often full. I just got back from a trip and some of the scheduling was quite competitive, especially for Goliath Grouper related activities.

T&C has set records this year compared to pre-pandemic numbers. Supposedly a tourism minister said a big part of that was because Cayman is closed.
Good to see numbers for them! Provo.'s got beach (as does G.C.), but from what I understand lacks Grand Cayman's shore diving and since it's not a regular cruise port, I doubt it has the well-developed topside excursion offerings of Grand Cayman. T&C diving also tends to be a bit deeper, with a rep. for long boat rides out if you don't go by live-aboard. Given issues between the Cayman Aggressor V and the Caymans, it's not clear there'll continue to be a live-aboard option in the Caymans, whereas in T&C it's seen as the best option for divers and there are 2 strongly reputable ones. All that said, I wonder if T&C will keep stealing a little of the Caymans' thunder after the latter open back up? At least more people going and having a good time means more trip reports and word-of-mouth raising awareness.

For USA-based divers, St Croix becomes far more attractive due to the fact that it's not an international flight and there is less testing required.
Yeah, I've been hearing about St. Croix more on Scuba Board since the pandemic kicked in. Awareness seems up! And it's a good place.

Just wanted to stop by and say that I feel sorry for everyone in the dive industry in the Cayman Islands given that the CIG keeps playing games with re-opening. Yesterday's 3PM meeting to tell everyone "we'll let you know sometime that we will be opening someday" was a classic let down for a number of people.

Just wanted to stop by and say that I feel sorry for everyone in the dive industry in the Cayman Islands given that the CIG keeps playing games with re-opening. Yesterday's 3PM meeting to tell everyone "we'll let you know sometime that we will be opening someday" was a classic let down for a number of people.
Not only the ever-changing reopening date but they are also now considering removal of 'verifiable' proof of vaccination. Fortuitously my hospital system just implemented the SMART QR code on our Epic Systems e-charts.

Edit to add: We have given up on considering a trip to Grand Cayman for the next many months and have booked a trip to Cozumel. We've been to both places a dozen times so not a hardship, although the beaches are much nicer on Cayman (non-diving spouse love them).

Government weighs removing verifiable vaccination requirement for Cayman arrivals

Edit to add: We have given up on considering a trip to Grand Cayman for the next many months and have booked a trip to Cozumel. We've been to both places a dozen times so not a hardship, although the beaches are much nicer on Cayman (non-diving spouse love them).

This evening the wife and I are booking tickets for New Years to Curacao for similar reasons.

This evening the wife and I are booking tickets for New Years to Curacao for similar reasons.
I heard many things about Curacao , and I'm curious to learn how the diving sites are around the island. I would gladly read any report you may have regarding dives in the island.

I heard many things about Curacao , and I'm curious to learn how the diving sites are around the island. I would gladly read any report you may have regarding dives in the island.

From the trip report master himself..... @drrich2

From the trip report master himself..... @drrich2

thank you @Redfoot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom