Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People can change their minds. More especially when they see their friends and peers in the hospital. Our surge here of hospitalized patients is now of younger 30-40 people without vaccinations (not eligible yet). Although fewer required ventilation and most had either high blood pressure, obesity, and diabetes as co morbidity, some previously seemingly healthy patients are quite ill. It’s possible that they had an unknown cofactor but this is the same population that doesn’t really go to the doctor voluntarily.
The older vaccinated and more careful at risk groups have avoided the hospital.

I have my doubts they will ever hit that goal due to the reluctance of younger adults.

I am friendly with a lot of people here across all ages, and the most reluctant seem to be the older folks. Most of the younger adults I know (and being active in the music community here I fortunately get the chance to play and hang out with a lot of them) have been willing to get the jab. A bunch of the older folks have needed a lot more convincing. Being one myself, I'm trying my best to convince them (I got the jab two months ago with almost no side effects) and it's slowly working with some of them. But I'm hoping the government remains flexible with that 80% target.

I wonder what their policy re children will be when they decide to allow vaccinated folks in. Will they let little ones in,too?

Lots of stories in the Cayman Compass about the election and forming governments but nothing substantive that I have seen on reopening. As to the thread title, April and May not happening. Still maybe in the late fall?

Since our election on April 14, we've been in a bit of a holding pattern. There has been a change of the political parties who now hold the majority in Parliament, which means new cabinet appointments, and time for them to get up to speed. As of right now, we have no indication whatsoever on their position for a border reopening.

Whenever the announcement of border reopening occurs, it will take at least 6 weeks to get the airline and transportation infrastructure back up to speed for flights to resume to the island, and this would be at a reduced capacity.

Members of CITA have met with HE Governor Roper, and discussed a vaccine strategy. There are enough vaccines on-island for every adult to get 2 doses, and as of last week we have about 17,000 unvaccinated persons over 16 here. One of the strategies proposed was to 'draw a line in the sand' so to speak, and announce a reopening date, in the hopes that this would encourage further vaccination. If this plan were to be implemented, you'd see a reopening date announced for sometime in late June or July at the earliest, and this would be for vaccinated individuals only.

My best guess (and please don't quote me on this) is we will see a phased reopening approach. For vaccinated travelers, the quarantine period will likely drop to 8 days, then 5 days, then no quarantine over the course of the summer, and if no other disasters occur, we will see a full reopening for vaccinated individuals in fall.

Tony

My best guess (and please don't quote me on this) is we will see a phased reopening approach. For vaccinated travelers, the quarantine period will likely drop to 8 days, then 5 days, then no quarantine over the course of the summer, and if no other disasters occur, we will see a full reopening for vaccinated individuals in fall.
We fully vaccinated divers with November reservations certainly hope this turns out to be early fall. Of course, as your post suggests, we cannot plan flights until the airlines post schedules, and they can't post schedules until they see definite plans.

We fully vaccinated divers with November reservations certainly hope this turns out to be early fall. Of course, as your post suggests, we cannot plan flights until the airlines post schedules, and they can't post schedules until they see definite plans.

We have definite flights with JetBlue in Oct. Their schedules are posted. Who knows what will happen?

We are heading back down in late May.

The process is the same as it was in November of 2020, only our quarantine will be reduced to ten days for fully vaccinated.

I hope the borders open more by late summer.

I think I read that the last of the vaccine expires on June 9, so the line in the sand needs to be announced soon. I do like that approach. Something has to give at some point.

Back
Top Bottom