Cayman Islands Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kawika

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Folks...

We're just a couple of days away from going on our first trip to the Caymans for some diving. I'm still doing a lot of research in regards to places to go & places to see. Anyhow...I have a question regarding fishing in the Caymans. Is it even allowed? When I say fishing...I mean both pole & spear fishing? Also...are there restrictions in regards to capturing lobsters? Is it even allowed? My father in law seems to think that he is going to get a bunch of lobsters while we are there...but from what I read in regards to laws against having gloves to protect the coral...I figured that there are probably equally as harsh laws protecting the marine life as well. Anyhow...if anyone can shed some light on some of these subjects...please let me know...

Thanks...

Kawika

Thanks...I ran across another website that indicated that catching lobster is allowed (5 per person/6" minimum tail length)...but towards the end of the page it also indicated that no scuba divers were allowed to take any type of marine life...so I assume that means that any lobster you catch has to come through walking on the reefs/tidal pools or through free diving.

K

I tried the link above...and it appears to be broken.

K

I just tried it and your right. Wait a while and try it again. This link says that harvesting lobsters only from Nov. 1 - March 1. 2 per person and 6 per boat if my memory serves me correctly. I am sure that it will depend on which island you are talking about. I don't believe that all three islands are considered marine park but you will have to read the entire law.

PS - Kawika did you get my pictures?

Yes...I got them this morning when I got in to work. Your BCD looks very well maintained...and could pass for brand new in most people's book...

was just there at the end of september, and while i was there during lobster season, the government has put a hold on ALL lobster gathering because of abuse. they've had too many problems of people taking illegal lobsters, and this has depleted their stock substantially.

this was told to me by a captain which whom we dove with during our stay.

i was so happy that i was there during lobster season, and he deflated that excitement very quickly. :(

he told me that they will reconsider opening the lobster season at a january meeting.

i don't know about fishing with spear guns. but they do have fishing boats, cuz they are known for their excellent fishing expeditions.

perhaps you'll get lucky :confused:

I don't mind either way. I grew up in Hawai'i...so I've already have my fill of 20+ years of fishing... :) Granted...I've never dove to catch a lobster before...but I have caught them while walking on the reef at night or when setting up lobster nets. I'm mostly asking for my father in law...

Thanks...

K

Back
Top Bottom