Cayman Islands, Any Suggestions?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Expedia is one of the most expensive travel sites...best to deal direct with a resort...pull a search on Grand Cayman...
Grand Cayman is good for night life...but if your a diver... either Cayman Brac or Little Cayman....is best...

scubapro50:
1st thing you do is pull up EXPEDIA and start checking prices ..... i spent a week on 7 mile beach and save hundreds on the airfare and the hotel. Then go to yahoo and search for Cayman Hotel Reviews. Do your self a favor and buy a book about different dive sights so you can ask where you're going or request something special. yes Cayman is "expense" but what isn't. My wife enjoys Cayman because you are not hassled by the locals like in Jamica or Mexico to buy something all the time. At 10pm we walked down the main drag to get a hambuger at Wendy's and felt safe ..... i love the Cayman Islands ...... take my sugeston and stay at one of the hotels on 7 mile beach .... one with a dive shop on the grounds and talk to them about a package deal on the diving..... they will pick you up at the hotel and drive you to the boats ..... 7 mile beach has a lot of shops and restrants to check out .... and remenber ... if you have a great dive and the guides go out of their way to help you out or show you around don't be afraid to tip them. my wife is short and needs 63 cu ft tanks because 80's are just too large for her ...... Don Foster's made sure she had them on every boat and we made 14 dives that week and never repeated a sight.

Try the Sunset House....near Georgetown..very nice place, it's for divers by divers. you can do all the shore diving you want, dive from boats etc. they have their own boats there, a dives shop etc. really nice place and the operators a great.

I dove with Fisheye in GC. Pretty cool bunch, not a cattle op. They have a special now...8 days diving and hotel , dbl occupancy $500.00 bucks per person. They're on 7 mile beach so shopping is abundant. Only stipulation is you have to sit through one of those 1.5 hour time share demos. Might be a good deal for you.

www.fisheye.com talk to Bart.

When we stayed at Grand Cayman we dove with Nick and Patrick of redbarondivers.com. Fun, well done operation...we stayed at the Treasure Island which was pretty inexpensive at the time...Nick recommended a house for $80/night for another trip I was planning, but we didn't go that time...
Good shore dives are Turtle Reef (north end) and Eden Rock (downtown)... I could have been content diving at Turtle Reef all week...but to go to the north wall you need a boat...

lindner514:
When we stayed at Grand Cayman we dove with Nick and Patrick of redbarondivers.com. Fun, well done operation...we stayed at the Treasure Island which was pretty inexpensive at the time...Nick recommended a house for $80/night for another trip I was planning, but we didn't go that time...
Good shore dives are Turtle Reef (north end) and Eden Rock (downtown)... I could have been content diving at Turtle Reef all week...but to go to the north wall you need a boat...
Thanks to all. Still watching/waiting to see if the islands are going to be visitable in late October due to Ivan. May end up going elsewhere.

Desa:
Thanks to all. Still watching/waiting to see if the islands are going to be visitable in late October due to Ivan. May end up going elsewhere.

May want to rethink going to GC try LC or the Brac.
Some of the places mentioned in this thread are gone or are damaged severly by Ivan. So sad.

Desa:
My wife and I are going to Grand Cayman in late October. I want to dive a lot, she wants to dive a little, so I need some suggestions as to where to stay, so we both get what we want out of the vacation.

Beware the dog packs. I was walking toward a restaurant off the main drag and 3 dogs were just watching us. Something about them made me keep a close eye on them and sure enough, the moment our backs got to them, they charged. I had on shorts and knew that running would be a bad idea, so I turned, raised my 6" purse and leaned in to let the frontrunner have it. Do you know he ran off and his buddies followed? Of course, I was aan emotional wreck the rest of the night, but I've never forgotten it.

Also, I found the cab drivers exceedingly rude. The Caymanians say that it couldn't have been a Caymanian cab driver, it had to be a Jamaican. Whatever. It marred the vacation.

Finally, my chief complaint is the way the dive op was run. Every day I got on the boat hoping to see Trinity Caves and every day someone had already seen them and so I never got to see them. Some will say I didn't miss anything, but that isn't the point. The point is that if you have a site you're looking forward to seeing, better make sure your dive operator has a plan to go there.

Cayman Brac and Little Cayman were much better than this overrated island.

Beware the dog packs
This is the first I have heard of this, thanks.
Also, I found the cab drivers exceedingly rude
. No suprise here.

Finally, my chief complaint is the way the dive op was run.
Who is the dive op, so I know who to avoid?

Cayman Brac and Little Cayman were much better than this overrated island.
Yep, this is what I have heard, but like I said in my original post, my wife wants to do more than dive and from all the other responses, there is not much else on CB & LC

But still working on it, so thanks again....

OK, since diving the Grand Cayman is out of the question for this fall, I talked to the boss. Her and I have deciede to go to either Bonaire or Carasua.

Any ideas, comments, concerns recomendations for one of these two?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom