Cayman Diving - Is it that good??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fda483

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I have been to Coz a couple of times, Roatan, Belize twice (Nekton), Turks and Caicos (Explorer liveaboard), Bahamas a couple of times, Key Largo many times, but have never been to Caymans. Kind of getting tired of people saying “You have never been diving in the Caymans?????"

So thinking of doing the Cayman Aggressor over the summer to get in my yearly need for a liveaboard! My question – is the diving in the Caymans that good compared to those other spots in the Caribbean? What makes it better? Reef health, more fish?

Was also considering Saba/St Kitts thinking that the reef may be in better shape from less divers beating it up. Does it compare to the Caymans?

Thanks for the help

Joe

We did Little Cayman in Jan - land based resort - but the diving was great!!! Lots of fish life, pretty coral and mostly calm waters! I haven't been to St Kitts/Saba but my husband has and he enjoyed LC much more! good luck!

I've been to a few more places than you, in the Caribbean I'm not sure you can beat Little Cayman.
I would suggest a liveaboard as well but make sure you go when they can get to Little Cayman as there are times when the Cayman Aggr. does not always cross the 80 miles to Little Cayman per the weather.

I've been to a few more places than you, in the Caribbean I'm not sure you can beat Little Cayman.
I would suggest a liveaboard as well but make sure you go when they can get to Little Cayman as there are times when the Cayman Aggr. does not always cross the 80 miles to Little Cayman per the weather.

Thanks did not think of that. From what I see the Aggressor is the only liveaboard doing the caymans. Am I missing any?

Joe

I have been to the Cayman Islands several times...I have been on the Cayman Aggressor once and have booked it again for 2011....the reefs/walls can start as shallow as 30ft and go into the abyss...yes it is great caribbean diving...not to be missed.

I have never dived Cayman, but had always heard it was one of the "big 3" (Cayman, Cozumel and Bonaire) for Caribbean diving. A diving friend of mine lived in Cayman for several years, and I asked him if Cayman was really all it was cracked up to be? He said for Grand Cayman, no - it was good diving, but not significantly better or worse than elsewhere in the Caribbean. But Cayman Brac and Little Cayman really were quite exceptional. No idea if that's true, but that was his view.

One day I hope to be able to conduct my own research on the topic.

I have never dived Cayman, but had always heard it was one of the "big 3" (Cayman, Cozumel and Bonaire) for Caribbean diving. A diving friend of mine lived in Cayman for several years, and I asked him if Cayman was really all it was cracked up to be? He said for Grand Cayman, no - it was good diving, but not significantly better or worse than elsewhere in the Caribbean. But Cayman Brac and Little Cayman really were quite exceptional. No idea if that's true, but that was his view.

One day I hope to be able to conduct my own research on the topic.

We often hear that. Inevitably, the person saying so has confined his/her Grand Cayman diving to the West Side, where most of the dive ops and hotels are located and where the vast majority of the diving is done. If you only dive on the West Side you will not be impressed. The coral there, particularly on the shallow sites, has suffered a lot.

The best Grand Cayman dive sites are on the Eastern side of the Island and on the North Wall. The East is serviced only by Ocean Frontiers and by Tortuga Divers. Experienced divers will prefer OF.

The North Wall diving is very weather dependent, one reason divers can come here for an entire week and never see it. Many divers seem unaware of its charms and make little effort to get there. When the weather is right, you can get to the N Wall with operators such as DiveTech, Neptune, Wall to Wall, Indigo, & Over the Wall.

IMHO, a week on Grand Cayman diving the N Wall and the East End with 2 experienced dive ops is at least equal to, and arguably better than, a week at one of the all-inclusives on the Brac or Little Cayman. I have done all 3 more than once.

I will refrain from comparing GC to the rest of the Caribbean - it's a large area and I have encountered all types of diving - good and not so good - in other countries. However, if the weather cooperates, you will not be disappointed with GC.

Back
Top Bottom