Cayman Brac in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all,

My husband and I will be heading to Cayman Brac for 7 nights at the end of May 2005. We will be staying at the Divi Tiara Resort.

Does anyone have any feedback regarding the resort, island, and what the island is like since the hurricanes?

Any feedback is well appreciated.

Thanks

Just got back from the Divi Tiara this past weekend...our 16th visit there (mostly as timeshare owners)

Overall, for a May 05 visit, you have plenty of time to Google to find out the basic details of the island, resort, etc, and you should find that the generally expected climate for June is fairly low winds and direction (e.g. better than now) and warm/hot. My general advice here is to think about your meals earlier rather than later (I recommend the MAP to first-time visitors to the Brac, for both the Divi and BRBR, because of limited food opportunities, especially within quick walking distance).

The short post-Ivan hurricane summary is that most everyone on the Brac is doing okay, and the reefs are okay too. I did get one report that some of Little Cayman's southside reefs got "blasted", but other than the Soto Trader, I didn't dive on any of them (nor would I expect that anyone from the Brac would).

Dive Tiara (and Reef Divers at Brac Reef) are both operational, although with limitations that they're currently working around. Naturally, things will improve with each passing month from today until next May. For one example, Divi's rebuilt dock currently has room for only ~1.5 diveboats at once, so if they're running multiple boats, they run their departure times on a ~15 minute staggered schedule. Divi is currently working to alleviate this by continuing to rebuild their dock - the work I saw last week was the western (righthand) 100ft leg of the dock. Divi does have the required rebuilding materials on-site for the dock (probably not the dock shed, though) and reportedly expect to have this leg done by the end of this month.

Insofar as the rest of the Divi property, they've done a mixed job of cleaning up: the hotel side is looking good, but on the timeshare side is an absolute pigsty. Granted, this is where the old dock's splintered wood and other debris got washed up, and I agree that it is worth doing a light salvage through such stuff, but they've not even begun to haul anything away, even the absolutely indisputable trash items. Fortunately, since you'll be in the hotel, you don't need to care as I do as a Timeshare owner (who's now in "Month 16 and counting" of their Rennovation project, which isn't even 25% of the way yet).

-hh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom