Cavern with single tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you feel that way about going to/from the air dome in Chac Mool? Maybe because I did it when I had less that 40 dives, the time we spent in the dark seemed like a long time. If the person in the back had a problem, I'm not sure that the third person would notice, given how often newly certified divers are taken in there who often lack awareness.

I don't have strong feelings about air dome hopping in Chac Mool. For the thousands of non-cave divers who have been there its been a good experience. I consider it an exception and the track record there is evidence enough for me that its "safe". Even the worst diver with rototiller kicks and seahorse trim can make it around that cavern line without dying - if they stay on the line. Almost certainly on a fatality per dive basis its not substantively risker than open water diving. The biggest cenote tour risk in MX is actually the (unusual but not unheard of) guide who decides to give his/her clients a "very special little side trip" into the actual cave.

There are cenotes that I think probably shouldn't have a cavern line - like Temple of Doom. Its too easy to slide deeper and end up in the cave there for instance. The only cavern fatality I can recall that wasn't medical was in Temple of Doom.

The biggest cenote tour risk in MX is actually the (unusual but not unheard of) guide who decides to give his/her clients a "very special little side trip" into the actual cave.

That reminds me of the cross put up where the previous November, a guide and a pair of newlyweds were found spread apart.

That reminds me of the cross put up where the previous November, a guide and a pair of newlyweds were found spread apart.
I was down there for a class shortly after that incident. My instructor was one of the guys to pull the bodies out, and he was still dealing with the bureaucratic aftermath.

If you have access to BBC Iplayer I suggest you watch Steve Backshall's Undiscovered Worlds program that was on Sunday at 18:00 UK time. He continues in the Cenotes next episode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom